The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

So, I've been reading and looking at pictures and trying to learn about conformation. I've also been spending a lot of time sitting with my goats and just watching them to see if I can spot things I'd like to improve. Well, I've determined that most of my does have steep rumps. Not the worst in the world, but I've seen much flatter. I saw a local yearling buck on facebook who appears to have a nice flat rump and when I found pictures of his parents they appear to have nice flat rumps. I'm considering buying him if he's still around this weekend when I'm supposed to sell a doeling. I'm wondering how heritable rumps are and if it's possible to make a steep rump look better by posing? The parents pics were posed. The only pic I can find of his father is a hairy pic, so it's harder to tell, but his father was once owned by Old Mountain Farm and they used him and kept at least a buck by him. The buck (half brother to this buck) has a nice flat rump as well. I probably don't need another buck. I just got a new moon spotted buckling, but he seems to have the same type of rump as my does and my other buck doesn't have the flattest rump either. Any suggestions? This boy is so cute and moonspotted and I hope I'm not just trying to convince myself I need him because of that.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Rumps can be improved upon, definately. I used a buck, Puffy, just for that purpose. His daughters have added some beautifully flat rumps to our herd. :love: Especially Leona, who is turning into my dairiest looking yearling. She has a looong, flat rump. So I would say, if you feel he would improve upon your does, go for it!

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ya'll! I'm trying pretty hard. I really want to do well at this. I thought my girls rumps were good, but I'm seeing much flatter rumps out there. I do have one girl who seems to have a flat rump, but she's pregnant and due to kid soon. I'm not sure if the rump flattens out when they are close to kidding or not.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Make sure the rest of him is good too, but it sounds like he would be a good purchase. Dam's udder good?

·
Done lost her mind...
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't been able to find a picture yet. I found where she lives now and I know the person who owned her when she was bred for this kid (he has her herd name). So I'll try emailing her and asking if she has a picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts