Runaway goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by danaan, Aug 24, 2010.

1. danaan

danaan New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Hi all,

I bought a Boer doe with a 6 month old doeling at her side from a neighbor a little less than a week ago. My neighbor wanted to get rid of this particular doe because she was mean to the other goats, and my neighbor's thought was that she would be happier if she could start her own herd with her own daughters.

These goats were not handled or socialized much, so I spent a lot of time handfeeding them and trying to get them used to being touched. All was going well, and I thought they were becoming more comfortable. Unfortunately, Monday morning they found a weak spot in the fence I didn't know about, and managed to escape.

My neighbor and I both thought they would show up back at her place with their old herd - which is about a 10 minute walk through the woods - but it's been over 24 hours and there's been no sign of them yet. Do you think I'm expecting them to find 'home' too quickly? Obviously I'm concerned especially about the baby being vulnerable to dogs and other predators, although her mama has horns and is very protective.

Any advice, prayers, encouraging wisdom, etc, gratefully accepted.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I take it you have been searching in this stretch of woods without seeing them?

Do you feed them grain? were they aware of any particular sounds associated with feeding? I try to rattle the grain scoop while I feed so they get use to the sound and will come running when i need them to. Could you try this in the woods?

3. danaan

danaan New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Yes, I keep looking. They have to be somewhere around here, right? Because they were still kind of teetering between being afraid of me and associating me with food I'm not sure whether it would help or hurt to try to get them to come to me. If they're scared already I'm afraid it might make them run further away. I have a good hunting dog, but they are definitely afraid of the dog.

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Is it a possability that someone could have stolen them? Even if they are timid could someone have coaxed them with food?
    I know this has happened locally even with horses!

I am very sorry though, and I hope you are able to find them.

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Can the former owner bring a goat or two on leashes and walk them around in the woods? The mama goat may answer a old herd mate. Or come running when she smells someone she knows. My first herd queen liked to escape and take off. I would grab a baby goat and put it down so it would cry, here she'd come to see what was up. Hope this helps and you find them. :hug: :pray:

Gina

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Also check with animal control....they may of been picked up.....

Keep looking though.... go door to door ...and ask .... if they seen them or if they do happen to see them...to call you....

There is that possibility... that they where stolen....

Also you can put an add in craiglist.....missing goats.... and maybe offer a little reward....

Get the word out ...and you will have more eyes looking for them...... :wink:

I am sorry you lost them...I pray you find them soon.... :hug: :pray:

7. danaan

danaan New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Cautiously optimistic; it sounds like they've been spotted, by two different people - four miles away. Now, I know they didn't get down there by themselves, but it turns out there's another goat person around there whose goats are always getting out, and probably somebody picked mine up and dropped them off, thinking they were hers. She's getting some neighbors together right now to help me round 'em up. Wish me luck!

--danaan

8. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
  9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Any news?? Was it them at the other place? :pray:

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow, that would be so cool if it was them! I'm with Amika -- any news? Was it them?

I remember the last person to post about lost goats - they were found as well.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I hope you find them. Also don't think they could not travel 4 mile. That is nothing for them.

A friend of mine had all hers run off becasue a pack of dogs came and were chasing them. They has a 4 month old PYGMY. We found them over 7 miles away, and they did it on their own.

Let us know if they are home.

13. danaan

danaan New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Wow, I guess anything could have happened. I'm almost positive it's them, although I haven't actually seen them yet - three people have seen them and the descriptions are very specific. This is apparently going to be harder than I thought. They are not coming to me or anyone else, they are hiding. The previous owner says they're probably very happy gorging themselves on all their favorite things that don't grow in the yard anymore, so it's not like they're hungry. Maybe I can get her to bring over a kid, like someone suggested. At least I know where they are, sort of.

I am tired.

Thanks for all the good wishes and suggestions.

14. danaan

danaan New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    :wahoo:

I got my goats back! Someone was able to catch mama and tie her to a tree until I could come get them. The guy said 'yeah, I grew up around goats. I just grabbed her by the horns.'

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A huge congrats...I am so happy.. you got them back.... :thumb: :leap: :cool: :hug:

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats great!! Now....hopefully they realize they're supposed to stay put!

Glad that they're back and unharmed :hug:

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    How wonderful!!!! So happy for you and them!!!

18. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :leap: Congrats! I hope they are still in good shape.

Gina

19. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I am so happy for you!

20. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE