Runny Eye

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SweetSaanens, Mar 6, 2011.

1. SweetSaanens

SweetSaanens New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    My pregnant Saanen doe has a bit of a goopy eye. She is housed with 2 other pregnant does due at the end of the month. Should I treat it like pink eye? The eye itself isn't red and doesn't seem painful, no blinking or anything there is just goop around her eye and in her eye lashes. This is my first year breeding goats and I just lost a doe (my first doe to give birth) to a ruptured uterus when her kids tried to come out in the wrong position so I really don't want to do anything that can effect her pregnancy weather the eye is a sign of a underlying condition or if I treat it with something that is not good for pregnant does. any advice?

Thank you

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    it may just be irritated, I'd hold a warm cloth over it, to draw out anything bugging her eye.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes with the changes in weather a bit of runny eye is not uncommon. But if the eye changes to red or cloudy then she will need immediate attention.

clean the gunk off with a warm wet washcloth or paper towel and monitor it for the next couple days.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...clean it up and look in it.... to make sure nothing....is in there...or if she has any cloudy or ulcer like area's......if you can't find anything.... of course that is good.... :wink: if it looks OK... put some terimycin(sp) ointment in there....for a few days.... or even PenG a few drops....

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Keep it clean, if it doesn't get better then try putting a drop of LA-200 in her eye 2-3 times a day for a few days. Should clear things up.

6. SweetSaanens

SweetSaanens New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Thank you I will put a warm compress on it and keep it clean and see how it goes.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome ...keep us updated....... :hug: :thumb:

8. SweetSaanens

SweetSaanens New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    I have been washing her eye with a warm towel 3 timees a day and it is clearing up already.

Thanks or the advice I hadn't had an eye problem yet so I just wasn't sure what to do and of course every time you try look something up on the internet you see nothing but scary stories of what it 'could' be!!!:shrug:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad the eye is improving already...keep up the good work... :hi5: and you are right..other sites have these big names for things that are so simple....but make them sound like something serious....glad you came here...for advice.... :hug: