Runny Eyes... HELP PLEASE??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HollowbeadRanch, Feb 8, 2008.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    This morning a couple of my girls have got stuff in the corner of their eyes. It kind of looks like sleepy that we get in our eyes. It is a yellowish color. I only have one girl with a slight runny nose. Is there somehthing I need to give them?? Or is it probably just because of the drastic weather changes we have had?? Is there some kind of medicated sauve or something that I can put in their eyes? They are pregnant and due this month, so I didn't think that I needed to give them a shot of the Nu-Flor... especially since it stings so much. Any suggestions?? Any idea what could have caused it??

I am fixing to go out to change water, give hay, and such, but I will be checking this post for responses every 20 minutes or so. I would like to get this taken care of today if possible. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I would give them some benadryl

3. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ok... I think I have some. How many cc's per pound? It won't harm them since they are VERY pregnant will it?

A person on another forum suggested neosporin to rub on their eyes and vick's for their nose... Would that work well? Could I do that with the benadryl?

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    . I use Tea bags. I get them wet, and I hold them on their eyes for 20 minutes three times a day for several days or until you see the difference.
    Also what is your hay like? Does it have a lot of dust? When I feed my hay it drives me crazy. It is really nice hay but a little dusty, and i do not have to stick my nose in the hay to eat it.
    Use a little Vet Rx if you have it. That is good also.

5. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Is VetRx a sauve? I will have to get some of it and try it. Where do I get it at? Will it be alright to do the Benadryl for today since it is something that I have one hand?

The hay we have is good hay... I really don't know that you would call it dusty... just normal hay I guess.

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    No VetRx is not a sauve, its drops that you put in their nose, you don't put it in their eyes that I know of. It would help with any runny noses though. You might could get some at a feed store, mine just has the poultry kind so I had to order mine.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Vet Rx is only for the nose. Just so you know, it is also good for dogs with ear infections.

8. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks everyone! For today I gave them benadryl since that is what I had one hand. Tonight or tomorrow morning I am going to pick up some of the Vet Rx to have on hand and if they aren't cleared up by tomorrow I will give it a try. Thanks again for the help!!

9. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I put a drop of Biomycin in the eyes when they start getting crusty and it seems to help alot. Just a drop or 2 and that will help if its a infection, I do this with pinkeye also.

10. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I think VetRX is wonderful. I have a nigerian dwarf wether that has allergies. I give it to him when ever there is a change in the weather. He doesn't like it too much but it really helps with his dry cough. I ordered online because our feed store didn't carry it.