Runny eyes?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Jan 11, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Binky has runny eyes,. clear like tears not crusty or looking like a sign of infection. I have had a few leafy dusty bales of hay recently, could this be the cause? What can I use on her that would clean her eyes and still be safe for a pregnancy? I don't want to stress her too much but I would rather stop this now before it can become pinkeye. Also, she is the only one that has this going on, the others don't.

Also, just in case, would anyone know the doseage of Benadryl for a mini goat? The few warm days we've had here have brought out the wasps and honeybees...I have the childrens liquid which is 12.5mg Diphenhydramine(antihistamine) in each 5mL.

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    My does have been getting watery eyes too....I have 2 with it...both are bred! Not sure why or what that has to do with it.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    runny eyes happen from time to time and with our crazy warm weather I am sure that is a factor.

If it is a cold some nurti drench will give her a boost to keep her immune system going

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you both, I figured it was the "crumbly" hay and it has been pretty windy here.

Would either of you know the dose for Benadryl? I'm not in need to use it now, but just in case. :)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I only gave it once and I gave the childs dose to a dairy kid who was stung on the head

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I figured to give it according to the dose for human kids...Weight wise I mean...it's 1 tsp for a kid weighing between 25 and 35 pounds so I guess it would be safe enough for a mini goat weighing 50-70 pounds.

I just wiped Binks eyes with a warm washcloth, I think it was probably the hay dust as she looks up into her rack to eat, for this bale, I think I'll put it in the crates on the floor to keep it out of her eyes.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I usually just give them some....I have never given more than 4cc's to an adult...I am sure I am wrong on the dose but I don't know