The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my milk does has had runny eyes for at least a month, probably more. She does NOT have Pinkeye, but I cannot find any information of any other reason for a goat developing runny eyes. ??? :ponder:

Her inner eyelid is a healthy colour, everything looks normal...but she just always has a little trickle of water down her face.

She is up-to-date on worming.

She is healthy in every other way, though is giving very little milk...but then ALL the gals have gone WAY down in milk production since they came to us...even though we follow the same feeding programme as the previous owners! Strange.

It's not our hay - we have changed hay and there has been no corresponding change in her 'runny-ness'.

Now I have found this forum, and seen how helpful and knowledgeable you all are (THANK YOU!!!), I thought I'd ask you if you have any suggestions! :)

·
558 Posts
I am a newbie so I don't know much.....but my doeling had runny eyes with a tiny bit of white goo when she was real young. The breeder I bought her from suggested wetting a paper towel with vinegar and wiping it twice a day. Not IN the eye just wiping the outside. It cleared it up within a few days......

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
some goats tend to water up around hay, dusty feed..laying on the dry dusty ground..since she has had this for some time I would agree with Pam and say allergies..Benadryl is great for this..10-20 cc liquid is easiest to give..and some like the taste and will suck it right out of the syringe...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help! It is not goo, just clear tears with no sign of irritation...but could be dust as it is VERY dusty around here except after rain! Funnily enough, the doe's name is Dusty! :)

Is the Benadryl an injection or an oral gel? I will have to go shop for some....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I assume they mean children's (oral) liquid Benadryl. It comes in generic brands too. Bet you can dose by the weight chart on the side of the box.

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
Yes..Oral...and liquid ..I buy the children liquid...they love the taste :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts