The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to keeping goats. I'm in northern Illinois so our weather has been cool and cold at night and miserabley wet. I have about twenty goats, some boers and some alpine does. About ten of them have runny noses and a mucousy cough. The discharge varies at different times from clear to white. My vet insists on no anti biotics without a temp. The highest temp I've gotten was 103.7. I do not want to lose a single animal if there is something I can do to help them. I'm afraid they have pneumonia. What do I do?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,215 Posts
Pneumonia does not always present a fever...silent pneumonia can have a low temp one minute and sky high the next...This is your call..you are there..these are your goats, not the vets...how are they acting? eating drinking pooping peeing bright eye and alert...then maybe a B complex daily shot will get them through it...but if any are acting just a tad off...treat...
Best OTC for this is Tylan 200 1 cc per 25# every 12 hours for 5-7 day
My choice for RX is Nuflor 3 cc per 100# once a day for 5-7 days

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pneumonia06.html
 

·
Rusty
Joined
·
186 Posts
Glad to see this question

I live in Texas and we have had some rainy, windy and cold weather here as well, and I have three that are coughing and have runny noses. Not a bad runny nose except for one little buck that seemed to have more discharge this morning. They are not coughing constantly and it does not sound wet. It sounds like a dry cough. One doe is bred , two are junior bucks, and one is a teenage show wether. One of the little bucks had green sticky snot on his nose this morning and it was kind of dried there. But they are all eating playing and pooping fine. They dont' seem to be in any other distress. I am just worried that they may need antibiotics, but I don't want to screw up their rumen system. I haven't taken their temps yet, but will do it tomorrow. If any of them have a temp should I go ahead and treat? I have LA200 and Pen G here.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,215 Posts
Hey Rusty
Yep weather right now is crazy in Texas! Im just south of you..

I wouldnt use LA200 on kids or bred Does..it can mess with bone & teeth growth both while in utero and while kids are growing. Penicillin is not the best choice for pneunomia, but the better choice here for the kids and Pregnant does...Tylan 200 is best choice and Tractor supply carries it.
As I said above, you see them you know them..if they are off..treat...green snot is a reason to treat IMO...be sure to do a full 5 days if you start antibiotics..B complex is awesome as a support any time goats are not well or stressed..
Best wises
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish there was a definitive answer!!

So....before I could even post a response I wanted to check a few more temps. The boer buck that was running a temp of 103.7 is now in the high 102s. So that seems to be back to normal although he is still a stuffed up. I went to the one boer doe kid that seems to be suffering the most and her temp was in the high 102s as well. Have a little alpine doe kid that was a little watery at the nose and her temp was 103.9. Am going to call the vet and try to get him to prescribe the nuflor for all of them and treat them either w that or the Tylan 200. Is Tylosin 200 the same? If so....I am going to treat them one way or the other. I also have a vitamin b complex injectable. Thank you all who have participated in this post and in advance to all who are reading it and may post later.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,215 Posts
Tylosin is the same thing as Tylan 200..Its what I use too...dose is 1 cc per 25# sub Q, every 12 hours for 5-7 days...this does sting some so get them moving as soon as you give it...
Nuflor is 3 cc per 100# sub Q once a day for 5-7 days. It too can sting..

Sub Q where the kneck meets the body is a goreat spot..lots of loose skin..Just lift a nice tent and go for it. Mine seem to react less when shots here.

Best wishes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Tylosin is the same thing as Tylan 200..Its what I use too...dose is 1 cc per 25# sub Q, every 12 hours for 5-7 days...this does sting some so get them moving as soon as you give it...
Nuflor is 3 cc per 100# sub Q once a day for 5-7 days. It too can sting..

Sub Q where the kneck meets the body is a goreat spot..lots of loose skin..Just lift a nice tent and go for it. Mine seem to react less when shots here.

Best wishes
Does sub Q mean under the skin?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,215 Posts
Yes Sub Q means just under the skin...;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok....so now that I've made the decision to treat, should I treat all of them? Just as a precautionary gesture. It def seems to be contagious as it went from just one to half at least. And also I was surprised to see the sub Q....was thinking it would be intramuscular. (Im)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,215 Posts
Theonly medication that needs to go IM is hormones...Sub Q is less painful for the goat : )

I would treat everyone who has symptoms you are concerned about..and give every one B complex and keep an eye on the ones you dont give the antibiotics to..in case they end up needing it later..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Waiting on the vet yo call back. Going to ask for the nuflor. If not headed to farm n fleet to get the tylosin. Nobody answered how long the should get the vitamin B. It is the Vita-Jec B Complex Fortified. From farm & Fleet.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,215 Posts
I would give the B complex daily until they are feeling all better...
 

·
Member
Joined
·
8,487 Posts
Vit. B won't hurt them- they pee out any excess. If you do start antibiotics, be sure and do the entire course-
otherwise the bug will come back stronger. Make sure there is no blood in the syringe when you do the injection. (don't hit a vein).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok....here we go. Just got off work and am headed home to give meds. Says on the label 1ml/25# I have a buck that goes 300-325# so it says to not do more than 10ml per site. So 3 inj for my big boy. 2 of the antibiotics and then a vitB. I just want them to get better. Vet didn't call today, but if he does tmrw and I've already strtd this med can/should I switch them up tmrw?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,215 Posts
I would go a head and stick with tylosin since you are starting with it..if after 5 days there is no improvment..then try the nuflor..

correct, tylosin is 1 cc 25#..split in two locations..
B complex is 4 1/2 per 100 # ..you can go with 10 cc on that, should be fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wheeew!!! Well. Finally all done!!! Found a temp of 104.9!!! And it was in one of my little boys who wasn't showing any coughing or runny nose?! Just noticed him kinda not in a hurry to get to feed bucket tail down and head just kinds mopey. When I rubbed his head after antibiotics he pulled away from me really hard. Noticed his ear felt kinda hot. And what do ya know? He had a scabbard sore that was oozing and infected. Got him his vit B, anti biotics, and some aspirin. C how he's feeling in the morn. Got him his own feed bucket and he ate and drank. Thnx again all for the advice!!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,215 Posts
glad you are treating...keep up for 5 full days...even if they seem better...glad you were alert to your young buck..keep up the good work!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top