Runny Nose, Cough, slightly greenish mucous

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by puckles, Dec 7, 2016.

1. puckles

puckles Galloping Gertie's Goat Milk Soap

Apr 2, 2015
    northern Nevada
    Hi! So, we had our weather change drastically from warm and sunny to freezing ice and snow a couple weeks ago. When this happened the goats passed around a little cold which I treated with an herbal tincture mixed into their feed pellets. Most of them who got it only had it for a day or two then were fine. One goat kept coughing a dry cough so I gave her and another ivermectin past for lungworms. A week or 2 later Both now have a runny nose with thick opaque snot- very slightly green. One of their kids just developed the snotty nose yesterday. All 3 of these girls are acting totally normal- eating fine and full of energy and all 3 are most likely in the early stages of pregnancy. The rest of the herd is clean nosed and doing fine.

How should I treat this other than going to the expensive vet? I am worried it might be pneumonia. Going to put new bedding in the barn today for good measure and would love to hear suggestions.

thanks!

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Get a rectal temperature with a digital thermometer (use lubricant) for all goats showing symptoms.

3. puckles

Apr 2, 2015
    northern Nevada
    what temp range is ok vs. what is something to worry about?

If I end up needing antibiotics, what is the best kind for this situtation? (i.e. won't harm pregnancy)

We have had goats for years, they've just always been healthy outside of a couple minor things, so I don't have a lot of experience with antibiotics and injections.

thanks again

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  4. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Normal temperatures for goats is 101.5 to 103.5 F (rectal). You would want to use antibiotics if they are running fevers above this. The best types of antibiotics for pneumonia type issues are Rx from vets rather than those available over-the-counter at feed stores. Nuflor is highly recommended.

5. puckles

Apr 2, 2015
    northern Nevada
    Thanks for the info. What is the best over-the-counter antibiotic if I can't get nuflor? Will LA 200 even help with respiratory issues?

6. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I think you want to avoid LA-200 in pregnant goats. Hopefully someone else can jump in to confirm that. Your only OTC option might be Penicillin.

7. puckles

Apr 2, 2015
    northern Nevada
    Thanks again- just saw that on another website! I want to avoid antibiotics unless I am sure it's necessary. Just noticed the girls have little to no mucous now- seems like it's only bad in the morning. Just went out and filled the barn with new clean bedding of grass hay and pine shavings. Going to try Vet Rx and take temps as the first step- hopefully that will help.

8. Riverside Fainters

Riverside Fainters Active Member

Feb 6, 2013
    I just dealt with the same thing in my goats. My vet recommended either Excenel (used and did not help), Baytril (did help) and Nuflor.

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes..la 200 can interfere with bone and teeth development. Tylan 200 is a good choice..1 cc per 25 pounds sub q. If temps are good..try vetrx..2 drops in each nostril..

10. puckles

Apr 2, 2015
    northern Nevada
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I took the girls; temperatures and all 3 were 101.5 this morning. the youngest one had a clear nose and the other 2 were less mucousy than the day before. I think the tons of clean warm bedding helped. Waiting for my VetRx to be delivered as I have seen many say it really helps with a runny nose. Watching them closely for any signs of change in behavior or temperature but they seem perky as can be for now.

Thanks everyone!

Katie

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California