Runny Poo

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, May 27, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok so my new LaMancha has had the runs since Saturday. I can't figure out why. Tried giving pepto and it hasn't done a thing for her. Started her on Sulmet in case of Cocci on Monday. Also gave her probios and nutri drench.

Her temp is normal and she is eating fine. Just has poo all over her back end and as soon as I rinse it off she goes again! :doh:
    I took her off grain so she is just getting hay to eat.

Any ideas on what will help her?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't know how old she is but I had a doeling get BAD runs, Sulmet and Pepto didn't seem to do much for her, she kept getting worse. So I gave her some Blackberry Leaves and Scour Halt and she is totally better now.

Hope that helps!!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm trickly one. Stick with the cocci treatment for the duration and see how she progresses. Dont' want to start a bunch of things and wack out her system more.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: Runny Poo(still)

Well she still has scours. Still eating great and has a normal temp. I bought some slippery elm pills since I remember reading that can help, but I don't remember the dosage. Does anyone know?

I also managed to get red raspberry leaf pills, I know its not blackberry, but do you think that will help at all?

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

I do know that Red Raspberry is good for pregnancy health and breeding problems. I don't know if they would help with scours any though...

I think if she is otherwise normal I would just keep up with the Pepto and make sure she doesn't dehydrate.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Oh and I've noticed her ears seemed crusty so my mom cleaned them out and puss came out of them. Since I've never had a LaMancha I wasn't sure if their ears were normally crusty. Do you think she has an infection? If so, what should I use? I can give my vet a call but he charges a arm and leg for anything. Between her and my preggy girls i am -> :GAAH: :help:

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

I have heard that their ears drain, but I don;t have any personal experience with lamanchas. I think she is probably just stressed out, that is why she has the runs..

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

hmm I would contact her breeder as that doesnt' sound normal to me.

Have you ruled out cocci yet?

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

Oh yes, how old is she?? Cocci could very well be the culprit.

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I am treating her for Cocci in case but I don't think thats it. She still kinda has the runs/dog poos. I stopped giving pepto since it wasn't doing a thing for her. She is drinking good and I have been mixing electrolytes in the water for her.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

have you run a fecal? Or you could just worm her

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Not yet, I doubt my vet would run one for me unless they come out and see her.

She was wormed with ivomec the day I got her, sorry I keep forgetting to put things since I've gotten such little :ZZZ:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

what did you use to worm her and how much?

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok, so I kinda forget about this post with everything going on around here. :oops:

So anyways.... Dusty is now back to normal. I finished giving the sulmet and the last day of treatment her poos were back to normal. :dance:

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ