The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Yes..too much grain, too much fresh graze and wet graze can all cause the runs..
if its green tinted it usually mens dietary...A good dose of Pepto and C D Antitoxin will help...if its dark in color..ddark brown to black..could be worms..
keep her hydrated is important..no grain until dry..hay only

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I find C D Antitoxin hard to find in stores and Vet sometimes dont carry it..Might call around. I order from Jeffers and keep a couple of bottle on hand. If you cant find any and her runs dont clear up or she begind grinding her teeth have some Milk of magnsia handy..15 cc per 60# will help bind toxins in her gut which happens when the rumen shuts down..
I would also check temps....this wether change causes Pneunomia. 101.5-103.5 is normal range..
When was the last time they were wormed and with what and how much? Lung worm can cause couphing, Pnenomia, Allergies, a cold.
Check their lower inner eye lids for color...should be bright pink to red in color

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
No, the vaccine will not do the same thing. You want the antitoxin. If you can't find it, epsom salts or activated charcoal may help in a pinch. I would also have a fecal run, and be giving him probios to help his tummy flora. :)

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Correct cd a toxin treats while cd&t prevents ...

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Safe guard need to be dosed 3x the dose I believe for goats,, it no longer works other than for Tape worm in many areas...I use Valbazen or Ivomec plus with success...I would have a fecal done in a week to see if the safe guard worked for you.
CD antitoxin's only job is to rid the goat of toxins in the gut. Any time your goats has watery poop, off feed, grinding teeth...this is when C D Antitoxin is needed..
For the cough, you are either dealing with Lung worms, A cold, allergies or the start of Pneunomia...

here is a link on C D Antitoxin to help you understand how it works : )
http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/#.UiuVs2SDTL8

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
O wht works for lung worms.(ivomec) and does it work on tape worms. The runs cleared up but i want to treat for ever thing. I just got all of them an need
Them all in good health

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Ivomec doesn't work on tapeworms. There is no one dewormer that takes care of everything. That is why it is good to have a fecal test done and make sure they include coccidia before treating so you can use the right dewormer the first time.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Lung worms wont show on a reg. Fecal exam...if you gather a few of her berries and wrap in a small piece of gauze, twisted closed tight ...float it in a cup of water over night..if she has lung worm you should see floating worms or larve...

Only white wormers take care of tape worms...Valbazen 1 cc per 10# orally for three days..Safeguard also works but you have to dose high for three days in a row as well...

Ivomec plus will take care of a large range of worms including liver fluke...But as Karen said..a fecal will let you know if tretment is needed ..include a check for cocci as well..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the help, i found out the wife give them a bunch of feed. It dryd up an hes ok. Thanks
No my big buck has pink eye i got some la200 today an put some in.his eyes. Should i give him shots as well

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Its not necessary to give injected...be sure it doesnt have an ulcer ...you will know if it does..it will be a red lump in the eye...if you see an ulcer use triple antibiotic ointment, like Neospordin...also keep the eye/face area clean and dry as possible
Glad your buck has a dry bum : )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts