The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I purchased a used hay feeder with a galvanized metal panel that had some rust on it. I sanded away most of the rust and rinsed it clean. Will it be safe to use like this? Does anyone have any suggestions for how to prevent the rust from forming again? We plan on sanding it again should it rust.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Should be fine. Rust is part of farm life unfortunately ;)

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Where I get busy fixin things is where deep cuts and or punctures can happen. We have a metal barn/shop with lots of rust. But when a piece of tin gets bent and sharp corner appear...we fix that asap..nails or wire sticking out we fix asap. Often after it tears our pants or shirt lol. It's a life!! Lol. I keep tetanus antitoxin and cd antitoxin on hand at all times in case it's needed. Best wishes!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Rust itself doesn’t cause tetanus. It’s just oxidized iron and part of life. A bacteria called Clostridium tetani that is found everywhere causes tetanus when you get cuts or puncture wounds, such as from stepping on an old rusty nail. Get you and your critters their tetanus vaccine (part of the CD&T vaccine for goats) and you’ll be fine. You can also keep tetanus antitoxin on hand especially if you don’t vaccinate because Lock Jaw (tetanus) is a horrible way to die.

Reactions: MadHouse
1 - 7 of 7 Posts