Rut Roh. I have a bleeding doe... HELP

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SterlingAcres, Feb 14, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    This morning when I fed the does, I found some blood on Cozy's poll. I couldn't see anything that she cut herself on, so I kept looking. Turns out, Moony's bleeding from her lady parts. She wasn't supposed to be bred and Stacey assured me this wasn't normal for heat.... How concerned should I be? I'm not home. If she's aborting something, can she do it alone? I won't be home for another few hours.... :sigh:

Here's a photo, she was down on her front knees eating grain this morning. But that's normal for her, Cozy and Callie because I've been feeding them on the floor since they won't go out in the snow.

[​IMG]

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    typically one does not bleed from heat - but have you ever seen a "normal" heat cycle from her? Is she uddering at all? how long have you had her? Do you have any bucks with them? What is her temp?

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I haven't had her a full month yet, so that's why I keep checking them for heat everyday. This is the first goings on from Moony. I bought her... I want to say Jan 24th. She has a small droopy udder, but it's been the same since she's been here. I've noticed no growth. I currently own no bucks, so we're safe there. I didn't take her temp this morning since I was in a hurry to get out the door. Right now, I'm at my parents place waiting for my husband to get back. I can temp her in a few hours. I'm hoping I find no fetuses when I get home :tears:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    could she have just delivered before you got her?

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    If she did, I wasn't told about it. I haven't seen anything from her prior to this.

I bought them from an AGS Director, so if I wasn't told about it, I'll be really po'd.

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    One of my nigerian/pygmy does had a heat that looks just like your doe this past summer. It was just a little tiny blood and then normal goo.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Looks to me like she aborted. I had a doe a month along that aborted and looked just like that.

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I've had no experience with abortion/miscarriage but I would imagine there would be a whole lot more blood.
    A couple yrs ago my little girls came into raging heat with little pink periods that lasted a day or two.
    Remember not all does show the same symtoms of heat, some are pretty quiet about it.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Depending on how far along they are there is more or less. If they abort kids 3 months and up there are visible fetuses and the placenta and all.

The doe that I had that aborted at a little over a month just had a very tiny bit of blood and cam into heat a week to later. So there can be very little blood.

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Well, I just got back in from the barn. The blood is pretty much gone, but you can still see it. She doesn't look goopy. She seems to be acting her same old self (except she won't let me near her bum and that's not like her), so it's not really effecting her eating or anything. I'll keep an eye out the next few days. Thanks guys, for all your help!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like an early on abortion -- she should be fine

12. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Breeder *just* emailed me back. Moony hasn't kidded in years and apparently was no where near a buck (although I saw otherwise)... she's insisting it's worms. Worms from her vulva?

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Nope, no way that's worms.

14. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    She's saying her vet friend is insisting it's worms and very very serious.... I didn't know worms could effect female reproductive organs /sarcasm. lol

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Shell...you've had these girls just about 3 weeks so it could be sign of a heat, and it is not worms, sorry but I've never seen a wormy goat "bleed" from the vulva.
    Also, you had mentioned that Cozy had blood on her head....if Mooney was hit hard in the behind, even a "bald" head can hit hard enough to rupture blood vessels and that area is a sensitive place to begin with.

16. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks Liz. Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't seen anything from her, so I assumed maybe she was bleeding a little during heat like a dog does. I wasn't sure, so I text Stacey.

Cozy only had a small drip on her. I'm surprised I noticed it. I was looking around at the fence thinking maybe she scratched her head on a stray piece of wire (because I've ripped 2 pairs of jeans on that gate this week! :roll:). What I did *really* notice, is that Moony won't let anyone near her rear end. She's headbutting with full force over anyone trying to sniff her, which I saw 3 times while I was out there for about 30 minutes. I'm not 100% about this behavior, but when I thought Callie was in heat, Moony acted the same way towards her.

17. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'm not 100% sure how to respond to this... Email from the breeder.

"What did you reworm with? I was told there is a bad worm around now with good foothold in the northeast because of the damp summer and wet winter called barber pole worm that can be bad and hide in the vulva and other areas. Just know it would have been super difficult for her to be pregnant with no boys around. I was told there is alot more of this worm and it often goes unnoticed till you see blood."

FTR, she owns no less than 3 bucks all within 25 foot of cattle paneled does... Just sayin'.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Barberpole is a blood sucker that causes anemia in infected goats, IF you had a problem with them, your goats would be sshowing pale eyelids and unthrifty coats.....Ivermectin still works to get rid of them.

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I never heard of worms in the vulva area.... barbor pole worms.. creates bottle jaw.... not bleeding in vulva... when they are overloaded :shrug:

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A good head butt could cause bleeding - that is a good observation Liz.

BP worms -- just as Liz described ;)