Rut Roh. I have a bleeding doe... HELP

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SterlingAcres, Feb 14, 2010.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Just to add my 2 cents.....I'm no expert, but Barber Pole worms are a warm weather worm that hits during spring and summer......I was told per my vet they should not be a problem this far north during winter.... They also live in the stomachs.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

3. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    How is Cozy doing now Shell . . . has the bleeding stopped?

I have heard the same thing as Denise about barber pole, but I had read up on them this past summer when a friend lost a goat to them. Here's some info about what they ARE capable of during the winter . . . great, huh :(

Controlling Goat Parasites -- Is It a Losing Battle?
    By Anne Zajac, DVM, PhD

"Haemonchus larvae can also undergo a process called ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT where they sit quietly in the stomach following infection and don't become adults until several months later. This is an important adaptation for keeping the worm around through cold winters when eggs and larvae don't survive well on pasture. The worms that became arrested in the fall resume development in the spring and reproduce. "
    full article here: http://www.goatconnection.com/articles/ ... _112.shtml

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yes, I have read that also.....but even if they are in the arrested stage, they are sitting in there dormant.....they would not be causing issues, especially this bleeding.....but the arrested stage is why come spring/summer they can become so overwhelming. I delt with these darn worms last summer.....Ivermectin is not working well here any longer on barber poles, I have had to turn to Cydectin.....which I did not want to do......I have been advised, Cydectin for warm weather worms, Ivermectin for cool waether worms.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I haven't been out yet this morning. Really busy morning. However, I will text Stacey, so maybe she can update. I'm actually walking out the door in less than 5 minutes.

As far as the worms, they were supposedly UTD with Ivermectin. I gave them 4 straight days of overdosed Safeguard just because it's what I had and wanted to get some wormer in them. Their gums and eyelids are fine. I copy and pasted that because every time I've had to talk to this woman, I get conflicting information. She talks in circles and I find it very difficult to understand how she's had goats so many years and doesn't seem to know very much about them. :shrug: Like I said, I don't know everything, I'm not saying I do... but I've never heard of worms causing bleeding from genitals.

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Worms should not make a doe bleed from her cha-cha.

Hmm, I'd say it was either another doe that butted her back there or her aborting. Although, she doesn't *appear* to have aborted. I had a doe abort and the blood she have off was stringy and more bright red, rather than your girl's shade...

Hm, very weird. Curious to see what it turns out to be.

7. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I should have clarified. I didn't mean to suggest that the bleeding was caused from worms :shrug:. I just saw some barber pole info that had been posted and wanted people to realize that the buggers may be there, although they wouldn't be causing problems in the winter :wink:. Our friend lost his goat after kidding in the Spring.

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    k-n-p, no problem! I understand.....I had a wether with them last year, they can take hold fast .......they can be just awful!

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Its just a small amount of blood, cound be the begingins of aborting. But her "area" is quite swollen looking. She looks a good three months into a pregnancy, if shes aborting i would think you would seea kid. Bleeding a litte is not un heard of in a normal pregnancy. I would just watch her. make sure she is eating and drinking and those membranes are pink.
    beth

10. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I think Shell also said she had a droopy bag, but the breeder said she hadn't kidded in years. So a general question, do older does have a droopy bag even if they haven't kidded in years?

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, does that have freshened more than once will not have the udder area of a doe that has freshened once....the udder is still there, not flat against the tummy like a young does would be. :greengrin:

12. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Just like me, I guess . . . after 3 kids, my tummy has some really attractive baggy skin. I could raise a kangaroo in there. Kidding . . . not THAT bad :ROFL:

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    HeHe..... too funny.... Aww...the rewards of giving life and your body worked so hard for it... :wink: :ROFL: