rut

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Dec 21, 2008.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Please, explain the rut to me. I think it is when the does is in heat. I maybe wrong and want to understand the real deal of things.

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    someone may be better at explaining this but

when the buck's know its breeding season.. love is in the air.. and in turn urine is on his face

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Rut is the time of season, the fall, when a buck goes wacko crazy for the does who are coming into heat. :)

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Are you familiar with white tail deer at all?

In the fall the bucks get massive necks, swelling from all the testosterone that has built in their systems all year long waiting for those receptive does, and though they don't pee on their faces they do have "buck stomps" where they urinate and stomp up the dirt to lay claim to territory where the doe are abundant...same with buck rubs, they have scent glands at the base of the antlers and when they choose a sapling to skin they are marking territory by rubbing those glands and leaveing their scent.

Same thing with goats though the bucks will urinate all over their face as well as their front legs and do "odd gross" things to themselves to get their scent "in the air"...they will also rub their horns and heads on whatever they can to leave their scent...and their necks also swell.

The dairy bucks have their rut in mid to late fall and it will last to usually January....the " tropically originated breeds" will breed year round, the Nigerian Dwarf, Pygmy as well as Boer usually don't have a "set" rut, but will be more aggressive about their "manhood" usually in late summer to early fall and will last for a few months.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    couldn't of said it better ....liz :thumbup: :)