???'s on castrating bucklings

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Mar 31, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am needing to casterate 2 young bucklings - one born March 6th, the other March 13th. I was wanting to use the rubberband thingy majiggy - elestr....??

Anyway - how old do they have to be and do I need to give them a CD/T prior? Antibiotics? Anyone have a step by step on how to do it??

Thanks

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    It's best to get the CDT in them 2 weeks before you do it so they can have time to develope the immunity. And yes they do need it with banding. I like to band at about 4-6 weeks. Really simple, basically you just have to make sure you have both testicles under the band, and then carefully slip the pliers off.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I band my boys at about 10 weeks or depending on the development of the testicles . Some people say that if you wait until they are older they have a less chance of getting UC. It is not proven that it really helps, but I still wait that long anyway.
    They are always UTD on shots CDT, and I give them Arnica Montana for four days once a day before they are banded, and they really do not even act like they know it ever happened.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I agree with Bethany that they need cdt shot.I would try to get it in 2 weeks ahead but give or take a day it would be fine.I try to have them banded by 8 weeks.It is simple to do but the vet does it for me when they get thier shots most of the time.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well i am not one that pushes vaccines so to me the CD/T was never an issue. You can or can't in my oppion.

As to the banding, you want both testicals to have dropped so that you can place the band easily and get both.

Have someone hold the buckling above you - or you squat underneath, so that they don't retract up, you want it to be hanging. Place the rubberband on the elastrator on the end of the prongs, Hold the sack in one hand, squeeze the elastrator so that the rubberband fits over the testicals, remove your other hand and guide the elastrator in place. Slowly close the elastrator so that you can remove the band, keep an eye out so that you dont pinch the skin of his belly or get a nipple in the band. sqeeze the elastrator to remove it. Check the band make sure it is properly in place. Put the kid down and watch him walk funny..........sorry couldnt' help myself.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I did Bootsies 2 bucklings on Friday at 6 weeks old, they had their CD/T 2 weeks prior and they were fine didn't like it when hubby sort of head locked them though! He helps though he really hates to see it done (must be a man thing!) they walk funny after a few minutes but they go right to mom and do alot of sitting and lying around for a few hours. Slick and Thumper are joining Tilly's twins from last year so they needed to go as wethers. Also, though it isn't very common but it does happen, don't get the band so high up that you risk getting the urethra in it also...not a good thing to happen as you could lose the kid because he can't pee. Have someone hold him and pull both testicles into the band and then let it go when you feel 2 cords above the testicles. I am always panicking when I do this even though I've done it numerous times I wait til they go pee before I can breathe again!

They cry more because they are being restrained and not so much from the discomfort.

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm not big on vaccines by any means. The only time I give CDT is for banding. But tetanus is a biggy with banding, at least in my area, so I would definitely give CDT when I'm doing that.