Saanen better after 2 years!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatheaven, Jun 22, 2009.

1. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Several years ago I had a Saanen doe who was around 2 years old. She had freshened one time with a single polled buckling. All was well. We wethered the buckling and kept him. Not long after, she went lame with sore front feet. She walked by kneeling on her front knees. After many treatments I could still not cure her lamenesss. We considered putting her down. I even posted on some goat forums about her. She got along well on her front knees and some would think it was cruel but I just didn't have the heart to put her down. Some who say her called her the praying goat. The last 5 months she has been up and walking normally and her hooves are fine now. She has lost some muscle mass due to knot using her legs so it is not a perfect gait but she gets along well and has re-established herself as a dominant goat. I never thought I would see the day of her walking again. Don't really know what the cure was except for time and continued hoof trimming. Just thought I would share. It's odd to see her out there walking and playing!

2. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    That is awesome!!

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just goes to show exactly how much patience and perseverence as well as TLC can really help :hug:
    Glad to hear that she is doing better

4. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    Sounds like founder. Congrats on getting her back to normal! I just did the same with my a three year old, she is up and walking normally after nearly two years of constant hoof trimming/reshaping.

Just goes to show you that with enough time and patience, the impossible becomes possible.

Good for you and your doe!

5. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Thanks for your kind words! Some people thought I was cruel to let her walk on her knees, but she seemed happy and kept up with the herd even though she was on her knees. She is a special goat that I brought home to bottle raise the same day my english bulldog died. She and the other Saanen I brought home that day helped me heal emotionally.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    That is wonderful :clap: !!!!

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    That's great! :clap:

8. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    WONDERFUL!!!!! :clap:

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that's a miracle... :thumbup: ..I am so happy for her..... :leap: :wahoo: :thumbup: :cool: