The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Oh shucks. A long time ago a met a sanaan breeder in WA that had some very well bred goats, unfortunately i've lost contact with her...maybe you found her...her name was Kate. Have you tried looking in the ADGA directory?

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Check out Loughlin's, I know they have saanens, I'm not sure if they are breeding anymore or not. There is also Des-Ruhigestelle(aka Tempo for those of us in the LaMancha and Alpine world ;)) She has some very lovely Saanens.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is Laurie Acton in Oregon ( I believe her mom owns the saanens). There is Rocky Run (Pat Hendrickson) in Napavine Washington. Last show I went to last year someone was saying there are not many purebred NW saanen breeders around................more breeding american saanens. I could look in my ADGA directory if you want more names. There used to be more towards Seattle but I don't know if they are still around.
Sue

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Sybil said:
Last show I went to last year someone was saying there are not many purebred NW saanen breeders around................more breeding american saanens.
That is true, there are only a handful of people around breeding purebred Saanens, as for the reason why I'm not sure. I breed purebreds myself, and I'm fortunate enough to know another purebred breeder only an hour from me :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sybil said:
There is Laurie Acton in Oregon ( I believe her mom owns the saanens). There is Rocky Run (Pat Hendrickson) in Napavine Washington. Last show I went to last year someone was saying there are not many purebred NW saanen breeders around................more breeding american saanens. I could look in my ADGA directory if you want more names. There used to be more towards Seattle but I don't know if they are still around.
Sue
Thanks Sue, I just emailed you about your Alpines. I am getting a little anxious that I can't find anyone close, and maybe I will settle for an Alpine...
I couldn't pull up the ADGA breeders listing, so if you have time to check on it for me..that would be awesome!!
I really have my heart set on a Saanen!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I know she has beautiful goats, but Laurie was snobby to me. Maybe she would be nicer to you.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Most of the time purebred saanens are much shorter and stalkier, while the americans are bigger boned. The purebred gene pool is so small that its hard not to inbreed, so most saanen breeders stick to americans.

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That's great information nutmeg. Thanks for sharing that. That does make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well in all seriousness, I've dealt with Cherrypines/Awesome Blossom farm, they have beautiful animals and they are nice to deal with, we had our buck flown in from california to ohio and it was worth every penny! :greengrin:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts