Saanen color?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dfsumner, Jan 19, 2010.

1. dfsumner

dfsumner New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I asked this question on DairyGoatinfo also, I'm a little confussed. I was browsing craigslist and looked at an ad for a Saanen goat. It has a photo, the goat looks Saanen to me, problem is she is pure black. Is this possible, or is she mixed. Here's the link to the ad while it's up. I have it saved if it gets deleted by the seller.
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/grd/1560483840.html

Thanks
    Daniel

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never seen a Saanen that is all black. Saanens are only white. a variation of a Saanen that has color is called a Sable. This Saanen could actually just be a Sable.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    could very possilby be sable- like stacey said. if your interested, contact the breeder and ask

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    IMO.. it looks like more of a alpine type.. but if its a saanen it's definelty a sable.. only color recognized is whte/cream

5. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    it looks like an Australian Melaan/ Aust black, doe, to me
    they descended from the British alpine, i think,
    try Google-ing it if your interested :)

the photo is of a registered melaan doe that i owned until June

[​IMG]

6. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    is she built like a Saanen, with a large frame, or is she a little smaller? She could be sable, or she could be alpine, or she could be Oberhasli... I'd ask the breeder if you're serious about her. (from the link, she honestly looks Obe to me, and I've raised them for years, not so much saanen)

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I doubt she's a saanan, maybe a cross or something. The owner may have just seen a saanan that looked like her not realizing sanaans are only white so just started calling her a sanaan.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree that she looks more alpine then saanen. She is built very much like an alpine. Sable saanes can be any color but their breed type should remain. saanens tend to be larger and heavier bones then alpines.
    beth

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    She looks more like an alpine or an oberhasli than a saanen to me, she doesn't have the right head or body type to be a saanen :)

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    gumtree ... meelans arent in any countries other than australia ...

I like your meelan doe btw ...

yes they were bred from british alpines that threw solid black, and also from some saanens and toggs that had the recessive black gene.