Sac torn from body - elastrator band - 12wks old - Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by DMClubhouse, Jul 14, 2015.

1. DMClubhouse

DMClubhouse New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas, USA
    We're new to goats (6 weeks since we bought our first 4 goats), and this seems like a potentially bad problem.

One of the boys, 12 weeks old now (born April 21) has torn the sac of his testicles away from his body. Pictures are on Google Drive at https://goo.gl/VKnYu9 .

An elastrator band was put on the goat before we bought him (we got him at 6 weeks old). His sac seems like a dry piece of leather (hair still on). Yesterday he was fine. Today we noticed him standing against the fence, not moving, breathing heavily, and found that his sac had detached from his body just above the elastrator band, and a cord of tissue (looks to my livestock-inexperienced eye like intestines, or an artery... it's the cord that connects the testes to the body) still holding the sac onto his body. His hind legs have some dried blood on them because he scratches the spot occasionally.

The person we bought the goats from said to look for signs of infection: puss and foul smell. Neither are present. We don't have a rectal thermometer yet.

He seems to be in pain: He walks, though avoids walking if possible. He eats, but not nearly as much as usual, and he seemed not to care about water (though I hope he'll drink some tonight). His bleat is very different from usual -- much quieter, lower pitch, shorter, less frequent.

We cleaned the area with hydrogen peroxide and paper towels, then took those three pictures, then sprayed the area with Vetericyn. He stomped with his back legs every time we sprayed or touched the area, and tried to get away from the person holding him. There seemed to be fresh blood in very small amounts, since the paper towels we cleaned got red/pink on them (only a stain the size of a quarter -- maybe one drop of blood).

We plan to spray the area with Vetericyn three times a day.

Our concerns:
    • that if it remains as an open wound, it could get infected;
    • that it could catch on something again, even more easily, and pull on wherever that cord goes inside him, causing worse injury;
    • that the pain is so great he won't eat or drink enough, and he'll walk so awkwardly that he'll hurt himself;
    • seems very unlikely, but is the cord intestine, and this is a hernia?

What to do??:
    • cut the cord? then clamp it shut? Or maybe it would retract into his body and we put a bandage over the opening?
    • let the injury take its course, just keep it clean and hope it doesn't catch on anything else?
    • spray a local anesthetic to dull the pain so that he'll eat and drink enough? But would getting anesthetic on that internal-organ-tube be harmful? What would we use? Would we use this if we cut the cord?

I hear that the closest goat vets are both about 90 minutes away (Navasota and Bellville). One of the people here has experience raising meat goats, but wasn't sure what to do about this.

I tried some phone numbers from GoatWorld-911, but got 2 disconnected lines and one no answer.

Any advice, experience, or tips on who else to ask is welcome.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  2. DMClubhouse

DMClubhouse New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas, USA
    He had his first CDT shot before coming to us, and a CDT booster shot about a week ago, so we aren't worried about tetanus.

3. DMClubhouse

DMClubhouse New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Here are the photos as attachments, same as on Google Drive. These are after cleaning with hydrogen peroxide and paper towels, before spraying with Vetericyn.

Attached Files:

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would get Banamine and give him a shot. It is vet Rx but someone near you should have some.

5. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Where exactly are you? Trinity Animal Hospital on Highway 90 in Liberty sees goats. Dr. Ricky Myers is there. 936-336-2263. He knows a lot about goats. If you are on the east side of Houston, that wouldn't be too far. I wish that I could tell you what to do, but I have never seen anything like that.

6. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Or Meloxicam, many humans take this.

Do not spray with Vetericin. It needs a drying agent such as Iodine. This is a problem of things being too moist already. Cut the cord as close to the sac as possible, where it is the driest, tomorrow after spraying it down good with iodine tonight. If it bleeds, tie it off with piece of sterilized fishline. (sterilize in alcohol) Dip the whole thing thickly in Iodine and make sure to get some on the belly all the way around as well and start Biomycin or LA200 at 1cc per 25 lbs.

Dip with iodine daily until the infection is dried up.

7. DMClubhouse

DMClubhouse New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Southeast Houston, 3 miles outside the loop, 77017 zip code.

Looks like about 50 minute drive to Trinity Animal Hospital. We're on a tight budget, but if it turns out we need to go to a vet, we'll do it, since keeping the goats in good health is very important to us.

8. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Hopefully, you can just do what Goathiker said. You will probably need to establish a relationship with a goat vet at some point in the future. I hope that you can get that poor goat fixed up and feeling better!

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with goat hiker...how many shots of cd&t did he get ? if he did not get a booster i would give tetanus antitoxin as a precaution...

best wishes

10. DMClubhouse

DMClubhouse New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Thank you!

This goat weighs about 33 lbs. I'll weigh him again before any injections.

Some questions:
    • What's the cord?
    • Do you expect the cord to retract into the body after cutting it? I'm guessing not, since fishing line in the body might be harmful?
    • Iodine tonight isn't going to happen unless it really has to (I'm on the edge of getting sick and need to go to bed now, and I'm 35 minutes away from the goats). So I could do that first thing tomorrow, wait a little while for drying, and then cut the cord.
    • Biomycin: you wrote 1cc/25lbs, so you suggest SQ injection, not ointment?
    • Meloxicam or Banamine: I see an article stating Banamine is IM 1cc/100lbs, and I see your advice on another thread about Meloxicam "I usually dose at 1/2mg per kg twice a day, Either way is safe. Make sure that she drinks plenty of water while she's taking them." Is the idea on that thread a good idea, "crush them and put them in some warm water and give them with a syringe"?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  11. LadySecret

LadySecret Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Western Oklahoma
    You can give banamine SubQ.

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The cord is the thing keeping the sack attached..it will not retract, but dry up...
    Antibiotics sub Q

Not sure about the meloxicam, I have never used it so hopefully Jill will pop on soon..but Im sure her previous advice would still stand..

on the iodine...if you need to wait until tomorrow (understandable since its 10:30 here in Texas) You may need to wait a bit longer to cut...or tie it off as Jill suggested before cutting it...

best to give the pain Meds about 30 min. or so prior to cutting..

13. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, as soon as the cord dries above the fish line, you should cut the part off as well. You don't really want it to retract, it needs killed.

The cord holding the sac on is a very swollen infected tube. This is why the antibiotics are needed.

Meloxicam is given at 15 mg per 75 lbs. Most pills are 15 mg. That is the proper dosage indeed.

Sub Q antibiotics will definitely be needed, he is already infected.

14. DMClubhouse

DMClubhouse New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Thank you so much for the advice.

The cord looked a bit more swollen today (with blood, based on the color), and there appeared to be a tiny film of new tissue forming where the cord meets the body. Yesterday, when the goat moved, sometimes the cord seemed to go a little further into his body, and then come back down. A friend who taught human anatomy said he thinks it's the spermatic cord, "consisting of the cremaster muscle, the vas deferens, and the blood supply and return vessels for the testes".

We prepared to cut it off here, cleaned up with water and betadine, but didn't have a pain killer or a antibiotic, and wanted to be on the safe side, so the goat will go to the vet at 2:30pm today.

15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    A vet visit is very good idea...you sure dont want the infection to go sepsis...Best wishes

16. goatylisa

goatylisa Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Northern California
    I would love to hear a follow up on what the vet does, if you can.