Saca's udder, your oppinions wanted

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Sonrise Farm, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Okay here is Saca's udder, 2nd freshening, and I know these aren't the best pics . . . .

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Could use more capacity (but that could very well be due to not eating), medial definition is good but it could be stronger to help pull those teats more down.

Teat placement would be corrected with a stronger medial. Forudder could use more blending but it isnt bad.

Over all I really like it.

When you breed her look for a buck whos dams udder has a strong medial (and rear attachment)

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Would you keep her then?
    I am still weighing the option whether or not to sell her, and can't quite make up my mind.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I would keep her. She looks to be very nice and there is always room for improvements but my doe Sweet Peas udder is worse and everone tells me to keep her as she does have potential and if bred right her daughters will be an improvement.

Are you going to take her to a show? That will give you more of an idea of what the judges are looking for. Even if you dont show her going to one is helpful.

5. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    We don't have any shows close by, and we live an hour from the nearest town, so even though I want to do 4h, I can't because we live too far away to drive back and forth from town to the farm for 5 days in a row.
    We are moving to Sioux Falls, SD and I plan on showing my girls at the Empire Fair there. . . .
    But for now I am keeping my eyes and ears open for ADGA shows in Spokane.

She had more milk this morning then yesterday, so maybe with more milking her milk level will rise?
    She is easy to milk. I thought I'd have difficulties, her being a mini and all, but I am doing better with her then I do with my Lamancha.
    So I'm happy. :)

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup the more you milk her the more she will give - you demand more her body will produce more

7. goatbless

goatbless New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I think she has a nice udder, definately above average compared to most nigerian udders I have seen. Just my two cents...

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i'd personally would want more capacity as a second freshener doe. but she is upset what with losing the kids and all..

i would also like to see a wider rear udder

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I wouldn't sell her till she's past the 6 week point for capacity. She looks pretty good from the photos, just not full. If she ups production and fills that udder she'd be a nice one to keep. If she doesn't then its up to you what to do about it. You could try again if you think she has the real potential or sell her.

10. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Update: her teats have come down a little more, and her udder is starting to round.
    Q: Is it possible for a doe's medial to improve with more freshenings?

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Most people say no but I've seen it happen, especially with a particular bloodline over here. Hayseed Farms FA Flash Dancer daughter's udders take a while for the medial to develop. So, I say it's possible. I would look into her background though, her dam, grand-dam, and sire's dam to see if that was the case. If not, then hers probably won't develop much more.

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yes the whole udder can take on a new look with each freshening. However, most of the time the biggest change in medial definition is first to second freshenings. But sure they can change from then on. I wouldn't be expecting a dramatic difference though or hoping for it.