The Goat Spot Forum banner

Sad boer goat

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
Ok this is what U have. I rescued a boer goat from a back yard and bought her home to 14acres. Had her there for around 6 weeks and had her in the house yard during the day and locked her up in an oversized chicken coop at night. Then she started to become naughty and started jumping up and banging on the glass doors to come in side with us, the dogs did why shouldn't she?

I then contacted a breeder and we defused for her to take "Prim" to her farm with her 20 odd pet goats to try to teach her how to be a goat! Prim is approx 6 months old.

Anyway, l got her back about 3 weeks ago with another goat who is a cross Maleen x Swiss (hope that is the correct spelling). Then last Saturday I bought another 5 goats back. 2 mums with there babies. twins and one. All Dairy goats.

Now Prim seems so sad. Is that possible? She eats little and seems to get bullied. This afternoon at feed time she got knocked o her side and then got up and walked away and stayed by her self. The kids and I go out of our way to make her feel like the favourite.

Any suggestions?

I don't believe she is sick, I think she is depressed. What do you think?

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree with Karen, be sure she gets her meals..Yes, goats can get depressed, and sometimes needs extra TLC...I would still get a temp on her just to be sure she is well...is she pooping berries, peeing, eating and drinking fine...check her lower inner eye lids, they should be deep pink to red...
B complex is a awesome vitamin to give during stressful situations..she would benefit from daily shots sub Q until she is back to her perky self..
when I bring home new goats i pen them in a space of their own so the others can get used to them...this is a bit different but perhaps pen her in her own space where she shares a fence line..if there is a weened younger doe you can place with her to bond that would be ideal... once they have had a week or so of "getting to know each other" allow supervised visits...if all goes well...leave them and watch...once you see she has been invited into the herd she is good to go...

#4 ·
I agree.

Take the bullies and pen them up for a while. When you let them out, they will have to establish new pecking order again.
Which the poor goat getting picked on, won't be in jeopardy. If there is more than 1 bully, let out 1 at a time. When all is calm let the next one out.

Feed in separate area's so all can eat or separate the bullies or the one being picked on, at feeding time, if things remain the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.