Sad day at Sunset Lake Ranch

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by kelebek, Mar 23, 2010.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Last night I let the new babies and momma out for the first time to meet the herd. They were having so much fun running and jumping. At 9, I brought them back into the barn stall for bed.

This morning, I went to bring snow, princess, and the 3 babies out for the day, and I found that itty bit had passed away - dahlia had layed on her. My heart sunk. I worked so hard to save her, and now this... I have never had this happen before and now I am beating myself up that "if I would have just left them out". I know there was nothing I could do, but secretly I wanted to keep that little girl - she stole my heart.

RIP my little itty bit. Even though it was a short time, you will always be remembered.

2. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    :hug: I am so sorry for your loss.

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Ohhh Allison Im so sorry you lost the little one- it was just a tragic accident. :hug:

4. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Allison, I believe no matter the length of time these wee ones are in our lives, the hoof prints on our hearts they leave is everlasting. I believe your girl will be waiting in a special place at the Rainbow Bridge to greet you when that day comes. Also, I believe they forgive us for what we can’t forgive ourselves for. Please let the “what ifs” go, and allow the sweet brief memories, to help you with your grief. :hug: to Momma as well.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a question how do you all keep the momma's from laying on their babies. I never have had this happen before ..............

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Alison- I'm sorry but you must know it is not your fault at all. As for how I haven't really found a good way Belle stepped on her bucklings a couple times but really thats a good question....*hug*

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Allison, I am sorry that this happened! That is always one of my biggest fears when the does have multiples... they seem to keep track of twins just fine but triplets,quads and more just tend to lay everywhere.... when my kids are locked up in stalls with momma I keep a "kid hut" in there.... they feel cozy in there and that is where they all curl up to sleep....mom can't get in there so it minimizes the chance for accidents. My kid huts are just barrels with a little hole cut in the side for them to come in and out..

I am so sorry for your loss. :tears:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    never had to do anything to keep the mom's from laying on the babies -- never had that happen before.

So sorry :hug: its ten times worse when its one thats so special :(

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
  10. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    :( I am so sorry for your loss :cry:

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I had a plastic "bin" on its side in there for them - with bedding, but they wouldn't come in it ---- silly critters. I wonder if maybe those plastic barrels would be better.

Thank you everyone - I am a little heartbroke. It has been a REALLY bad week (since sunday) for me and this just topped it off.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry Allison... That is heart breaking.... :( :hug:

13. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
  14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so sorry Allison :hug:

Little Bit really stole alot of hearts, such a teeny girl that her mama likely didn't realize she layed on her, this is not your fault at all :hug:

15. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Im so sorry for your loss. It hurts so bad to lose them.

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
  17. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Sooo Sorry for your loss. Just remember that you couldn't prevent it and it's not your fault. Hope you feel better and again very very sorry about the loss. And hope your week gets better!

18. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss of itty bit. :hug:

19. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Awww no :( I'm so sorry Allison! I'm sure your other babies will be happy to cheer you up with silliness and antics if you go watch them for a little while :)