The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a doe in January that was pretty skinny at the time I nursed her back to health and looks better than ever. She may even be in the lineup for herd queen! Unfortunately today I noticed a lump on he shoulder and immediately removed her from the group :/
Luckily it has not burst and an overall check of her shows no signs of any other abscesses or scars. Also she was never in milk while on my property. I'm glad I caught it and am planning on lancing it tomorrow with some help from a friend. She is 99% purebred doe and I was excited to breed her but now I'm just depressed....
Where should I go from here?
Any tips?
I guess a better question is "what would you do?"

Ill post some pictures I'm almost 100% certain it is CL
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
14,615 Posts
Sorry to hear about the possiblity. Do what you are going to do, get results back & go from there.
And dont let anyone talk you into a blood test for it but you probably know that.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just feeling so down she was doing so good then suddenly a lump. It's almost like it grew overnight.. How long does it take for an abscess this size to form?
 

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
Joined
·
2,991 Posts
CL is not necessarily a death sentence. I myself have a doe with the possibility of having it. Of course, she's the only doe I have so I don't have to worry about infecting others. Many goats with CL can go on to live long productive lives. You jsut have to be careful. If she gets an internal abscess, that's when it's done. If she gets them on her lungs, simple things as coughing can spread it. Breeding with a goat that has internal CL abscesses isn't a good idea either because the bacteria can be spread via reproductive fluids. She may not ever get another one after this one. My doe had one last summer. She didn't get another one until a few weeks ago. I believe the wet season brings it out. You can maintain them by injecting 2-4cc of 10% buffered formalin into the abscess. Dose depends on size of abscess. Just make sure you don't poke her live tissue as it will deaden the nerves and can cause a whole side of her face/body to be nonfunctional.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand many people deal with CL in their herds but it is not something I am willing to deal with. I can not afford to have my buck or other does infected. If she were my only doe or a pet goat then of course it wouldn't be an issue.
 

·
I'm watching you
Joined
·
22,532 Posts
Yes, a carcass isn't comdened unless it has more then 3 abcesses. The meat isn't infected. The infection stays in the lymph nodes.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd be scared to butcher and eat her myself because I'm not too sure on what exactly the lymph nodes are or look like. She is healthy so I'd like to imagine this is a first occurrence but doubt it. I'd be better off taking her to the auction after the results.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's too bad :( I'll tell you, I only have 5 goats, but I wouldn't deal with it either. At least you got to it before it ruptured!
Yeah I'm so glad I did. She's only been here for 4 months and I've been keeping a good eye on her and her daughter swirl. So far nothing on her daughter but I might have to think about selling her too after this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,392 Posts
I would not lance it unless it is ready..and from the pic it does not look ready...a ready cyst will usually be bald and very soft in the center...if you lance it too soon you will get mostly liquid and it will fester and create another lump near this one...in feeling the center it should feel very thin..very soft...when you lance too soon you are putting her through it for nothing...once its ripe and lanced you will need to flush it a few times a day for several days until the walls of the cyst are thin and ready to heal..again if you allow it to close up before this happens you will end up with another cyst. I think if you do not want this in your property then you should sell her as is..before you lance it to a person who knows what it is and is willing to deal with it..lancing on your property, even with care is risky..best of luck
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was another question I had but forgot to ask about it looking ready.
Well if I were to sell as is I'd need some opinions.. Definitely CL or not??

Thanks Cathy I appreciate your input
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also the breeder really wants to know the test results so I would like to try and lance. Of course I will take all precautions thanks again for your opinion of the ripeness
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,944 Posts
I guess a better question is "what would you do?"
Separate her, wait til the hair starts coming off, lance it, clean it out, test the pus, burn everything used to lance and clean out the abcess, give her antibiotics for however long the vet says - usually 3-5 days, keep her separated until it heals up, put her back in with the herd, disinfect the isolation pen she was in, keep an eye on her and if she develops a 2nd abcess cull her.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top