Sad day... insight please

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Jarrod & Jody, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Jarrod & Jody

Jarrod & Jody Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    we had a first time doe go into unexpected labor last night which took to long, when it first came out if was breached but I worked on it but it was to late , and thought that was it. Woke up this morning and she had another but it was much smaller, bent up awful, and when I looked to see what it was the back end was nothing but a giant hole. The other was 3 times the size but it’s hoofs we’re soft, almost the thickness of egg shells. Could anyone give me some insight ? They eat the best feed, hay, and all the loose minerals they can handle.

Sfgwife likes this.
  2. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

No help, just (((hugs))). I am sorry this happened.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'm so very sorry. I can't tell or even speculate why it happened. All I can offer is support and a hug. Sending prayers your way.

4. ellen.marie

ellen.marie New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    There was a Dr. Pol episode where this happened. The kids were all twisted up, and had to be pulled. They didn't have a good explanation, but you should see if it is similar. I hope things go better for you in the future

Jarrod & Jody likes this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry you lost them. So many reasons why it could have happened.

6. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I have seen it, i think. I’ve seen every episode almost. It was like that but only one was bent up. It’s devestating , and the nanny is heart breaking crying for them to come to her and all her waisted milk

7. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I am so sorry for your loss. Were you plannin on milkin mama? It is sill possible. Just save the first two or three days of colostum in case you need it another time.

8. Mmhyronimus

Mmhyronimus Well-Known Member

I had something similar happen about a year ago. I had bought a pregnant doe at auction and when she kidded her kids were very deformed. 1 kid had 5 legs and the other's spine was like a slinky all curled and crooked. Vet said it was one of the weirdest things he had seen. He thinks maybe it was a side effect of some med or dewormer she was given before I bought her or possibly just a fluke of nature.

Hopefully she will heal up and let you milk her.

9. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm so sorry this happened. Nature can be awfully brutal sometimes, even when we take the best of care. I agree with milking out that colostrum and freezing it. You never know that it might save some other kid's life down the road. And after you save the colostrum, the milk does not have to go to waste. Start milking mama and enjoy the milk for yourselves. It will make her feel better and help prevent her from getting mastitis from a too-tight udder. You may find that mama latches onto you in place of her missing kids. I had one that did that and it was very sweet. I was her "baby" for about six months until we bred her again.

10. dreamacresfarm2

dreamacresfarm2 also known as Mayia real life Cheri

May 10, 2014
    Oregon
    My doe lost her baby this year. I bought himb ut she was an ops breeding, looked around and found a 2 day old buckling for 10 bucks so i bought him, rubbed a clean rag ln her discharge and then top of his head and by his butt and tail. Then i splnkled some of her milk on his head, back and butt, fed him so he was not bugging her for food right at first .left him in with her. She did a lot of sniffing but she took him

11. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    It sounds like the second baby was deformed. There is something in angus cattle called curly calf syndrome, it sounds the same as what you see explaining and it’s just a genetic defect. It was probably something like that with your poor girl, nothing that you or anyone did wrong just something that happened. I would, next time you breed her use a different buck. I am very sorry for the losses :(

12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    So very sorry for your losses.

13. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    Very sorry for your bad time with your mama doe and babies. It’s mustve been very stressful. Group hugs to you!:bighug:

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So sorry it happened.
    Could of been anything that caused it, even mineral deficiency, chemicals.

15. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Did the doe ever have another issue? Kidding?

16. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I
    im pretty sure she had just been bred or got bred at the sale barn were we bought her

17. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    This is in NO way your fault sweetheart! You don’t know the conditions or anythin bout where she came from. As harsh as i may sound... and i do not mean to.... chalk this up to a super sucky thing and just start your care regimine on her and make sure she is in good condition next time you are ready breed her and i am sure all will go beautifully!

Some people that sell at the sale barns and auctions know that things are wrong and jus dont care or maybe fell on hard times and couldnt afford a vet bill while others care for their animals hopin the next person will do the same for them. It is jus the chance you take when you buy from them. :/.

toth boer goats likes this.
  18. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Hahaha. Your story bout graftin the kid sounds like me. When our friend told me he had my Hope this week end.... i asked him if he would cut a good sized piece of mamas hide off for me. He thought i was nuts! I had explain that i wanted be able wrap it round her bottle to see if maybe that would help her latch onto it for a few days. Cause my lil lady was three weeks old and very used to her mama by now. He had already buried mama when i asked for it though. But i have a bucket baby and as long as she drinks we are good with that. I jus told him if ever it happened again to a calf this old to please do it for me. Then he didnt think me so nuts.

toth boer goats likes this.
  19. Mmhyronimus

Mmhyronimus Well-Known Member

Mine actually ended up miscarrying this year. I'm hoping to get her healed up and healthy again. We moved a couple weeks prior to miscarrying and I think the stress and other goats bullying might have had something to do with it this time around. She was a FF the time she had the deformed kids and she is an absolute snuggle bunny now. I was the adopted kid that had to milk her 2x a day. She is an Oberhasli and absolutely hated me until the day I helped her kid. Now she follows me around like a puppy.