Sad day

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by grandmajo, Mar 6, 2009.

1. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Well, my doe who I figured on kidding around Feb 28th, never went until this Tuesday. Of course, I had a consulting job that day, I was a bit worried, but not overly so, as she had kidded last year with no problems whatsoever. I checked her before I left, and there was no evidence that she was going to go. So I left home around 7:45am did the job, and stopped at farm store on the way home to get alfalfa pellets and got back home at 3:00pm. Carried the first bag of pellets in the barn and she was laying down. Came out of the feed room and she was standing up, I glanced at her, and there was a head hanging out!

It was a nightmare, the baby was dead, we couldn't get the head back in to get the feet out, it was a total disaster. Ended up having to remove the head to be able to push the body back in so that I could get the feet out and she could deliver. It was a huge buckling, weighed 11 1/2 pounds.

Kidding season has not started well here, and I'm kicking myself, I should have canceled the job and rescheduled it. :cry:

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Awe no, Im so sorry to hear that! :(
    You can't blame yourself though! You had NO idea she was going to go when she did, and its not your fault that it ended the way it did.
    How is momma doing?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that is correct you had no idea and especialy with a history of good kidding. I am so sorry though :( :hug:

If she was due th 28th and didnt kid till the 3rd the kid might have been dead already hence the wrong position. I had this happen with a doe last year.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Please don't blame yourself...no one can predict.. when the moment will be...to exact timing...
    I am so very sorry... you had to go through that...how horrible....It is not your fault....by any means.... :hug: :( :cry:

5. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Momma is sad, and keeps looking for her baby. I've been going out and milking and sitting with her, and she licks me and talks to me like she thinks that I'm her baby. Of course she freshened with mastitis, so I'm treating her for that. The poor girl just can't win.

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So sad, sorry, hope you can get that mastitis under control. :pray:

7. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I am SO VERY sorry!! :hug: As everyone else said.... please don't blame yourself :hug:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry to hear that. I could only imagine how you felt having to do that to the baby but because you did that you were able to save mom and a big Congratulations for that.

I know how you want to blame yourself, but you can not do that. I was in the barn with my does, two just kidded and everyone else was eating and acting like their normal self's eating and head butting each other. Three hours later we heard a scream and we went out to another doe kidding and her buck was dead. IF I would of been out there I could of helped her get that sac off his face and we would not of lost him.

It is just Gods way of teaching us to deal with things. :hug:

Spoil mom and her get her mastitis taken care of. She need you and because of you she is still around.

9. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I am so sorry... How sad and awful.. I hope mama is doing well, spoil her rotten it will make you both feel better!

Jennah

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm so sorry that happened to you, I hope you and the doe feel better soon. :hug:

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh that is so sad....I hope she heals quickly.... :hug: