Sad day...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cyanne, Feb 3, 2010.

1. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Today is a really sad, crappy day. Went out to the goat barn and found that my young doe, CJ had kidded a single, large doe kid some time in the night or early morning. CJ was fine, but the kid was already dead. Tried mouth to snout and putting her in a sink full of hot water to warm her up, nothing worked.

CJ is not even quite a year old, was supposed to wait to breed her for next Fall, but the little hussy climbed on top of a dogloo that I left too close to a fence (lesson learned!) and got in with my buck.

Very sad to lose one, but definitely a learning experience. Am buying a baby monitor to keep in the barn so that I hopefully won't be surprised again, and am going to build additional kidding stalls this weekend so I can pen ALL of my expectant mothers well in advance. I had only 3 kidding pens and had been planning to rotate the does as they came due. Well, not nearly enough!

On the bright side (if there is one), her kid was BEAUTIFUL as were all of the kids Beau sired this time around, and his ratio is now up to 5 does and 1 buckling. And CJ did build an udder so I am going to go ahead and milk her to at least save the colostrum and I might go ahead and show her with the rest if she stays in milk.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How sad. I know that must be really hard, but it must be the way the lord planned it. She might of been really to young to nurse that beauty.
    Did you know when she was due?

I have a baby monitor and have had one for ever and now I have a barn camera and have had it for two years and it is so worth it.

3. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Nope, did not even know for sure she was bred. She had gotten into the pen when the buck was there but I did not see her bred and she had exhibited signs of being in heat since then. Then, recently, she started building a little udder so I thought, uh oh! But then I could not remember when exactly she had gotten in with the buck so I couldn't pin down a date. Instead I was just checking her frequently for signs that she was close. I only had the 3 stalls and they all have mommas and babies in them. On Friday I have a friend coming over and we are going to build a brand new 3-sided kidding barn with three 8ft by 8ft pens that I can subdivide as needed to add additional safe kidding areas.

I don't think she would have had any trouble nursing, she has a very nice udder, plenty of capacity, and she is not much smaller than my other senior does. Still, my preference was to wait until she was at least a year old. It seems that the goats never agree with my plans, though. :GAAH:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is never easy to lose a baby...I am so sorry ...for your loss.... :( :hug:

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I'm sorry!!! I know how you feel!!! I will be buying a baby monitor also for my goaties!! I believe it will help!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if she has such a nice udder and is in good shape I would keep her in milk and show her -- might as well

sorry you lost the kid -- :(

7. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I just finished milking her out for the first time, wow, for such an early first freshener and just barely having kidded this morning, she had a lot of milk/colostrum. I milked out about half a quart and she was very easy to milk (not that she cooperated or anything, but her udder was easy to milk because her teats were nice and large with good size orifices). So, now I will be milking her out twice a day to keep her going until the Spring shows start...don't know how she will do going up against senior does with gigantic udders after several freshenings, but she should do very well in her age group and at least I can get some good insights from the judges.

Will freeze the colostrum milk to save for emergencies...it takes about 2 wks for them to fully stop producing that stuff, right? I know that most of it is right after kidding, but I think I read somewhere that there is a little in the milk for up to 2 wks, so it makes it taste weird or something like that. I've never tried it since, with all of my previous kiddings, I did not start milking until the kids were at least 2 wks old. Since she has no kids I guess I am going to have a lot of extra milk in the freezer labeled for bottle baby use only!

If at least one good thing comes out of this mess, that would be nice, I guess.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I usually wait at least a week or two before drinking the milk -- it tastes weird either from the colostrum or hormones

9. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I am so very sorry for the loss for both CJ and you. :grouphug:

Right, hard to see the positive in something so sad, but you have.

10. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh, that's sad to hear. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do. I've brought them back from dead cold and they live for a while and die anyway. With a juvenile nanny it could have been still born or enough premature that it couldn't stand up to feed. You can't take it personally. Everyone has a learning curve and even the pros make mistakes.

Is it possible to substitute orphan babies for one that dies? I haven't tried that, but the nannies with a single baby seem to be the ones most interested in Sweet Pea when she's out in the pasture. Her momma doesn't take any interest in her at all, which is totally sad.

Also wonder if you can freeze colostrum?

I'd hesitate before raising another bottle baby. Pea is a good 1/3 smaller than her siblings, but she was also premature. Not sure which of those factors are most significant in determining her ultimate overall size.

Sweet Pea almost died this week when she pooped on the wife's good throw pillow on the couch. I thought my usually non-violent wife was going to field dress her right there in the living room. She holds up the stained pillow to me asked if I saw it, like it was my fault. I didn't poop on it, why is it my problem?

Between you and me, I didn't like that pillow either. :laugh:

11. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    That is too funny! :slapfloor: :slapfloor:

12. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Well, CJ is seemingly none the worse for wear from her bad kidding experience. She is still the loudest thing in the pasture...earning her show name, Calamity Jane, which she got because, from the moment I brought her home at 12 wks or so, she made so much noise. She pretty much never stops hollering, at least not when I am around where she can see me....don't know if it is the same when I am not home. And she is LOUD! And this isn't something she is doing because she lost her baby either, in fact, she seems not to be affected by that at all....just her normal noisy self. :GAAH:

As for the milking, it has been going really well. The first couple of times she acted like I was trying to murder her...refused to be led out of the pasture and had to be practically dragged screaming the whole way. Then as soon as I touched her udder she would sit down on the milkstand. The first few milkings I had to employ my famous "goat hammock" technique where I tie a rope from one side of my milk stand (I built mine with tall rails on both sides), run it under the goat's belly, then tie it to the other side. If they are standing, it doesn't affect them, but if they try to sit, they just sort of hang there in the air with the rope oofing their belly. Has to be uncomfortable...eventually they seem to figure out that they either stand up and get milked in comfort, or hang from their belly like a doofus and get milked anyway! :ROFL:

The last couple of does that I had to train to the milkstand were a nightmare and took at least a week to where I didn't have to fight with them to stop sitting or kicking or moving all over the place (heck, I know a few breeders with seasoned show does that still use hobbles every time they milk)...CJ only needed the belly rope for the first 3 milkings. Such a smart girl! She already figured out that the milkstand means free food and relief from that full udder! She stands there just like an old pro and her udder, while small, is very easy to milk. Can't wait to see how she develops once she has a chance to finish growing up and freshen again.

btw, even if you think there is no way that they will jump over a 5 ft high fence, because the drop on the other side is so far, DO NOT put a dogloo right up next to it, the stinkers will jump out and ruin your breeding plans by getting preggo when they aren't supposed to! Lesson learned...ugh.