The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last week I ended up selling my two miniature nubian doelings. :( We've had them since they were 2 days old and we loved them so much. Unfortunately my son's milk allergy has become more intense and it didn't make sense to wait an entire year for fresh milk for him. The new owners love them and send me picture updates regularly :clap: I am now on the hunt for a registered Nubian doe hopefully in milk or bred. At least now we have more experience and my sons will be able to show in all the dairy classes in 4-H. I'm sad but hopeful we will be able to find a doe that suits our needs. I'm also hoping to find a registered pygmy whether as a companion so that my oldest son can show him in 4-H before moving to a full sized Nubian. He's just a little guy! Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me. I will update when we buy our next one.

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
Hello,

I have no idea what is in the milk that causes allergies, but nubian milk tends to be stronger than Nigerian Dwarf or Saanen milk (just a suggestion). I would totally understand if you like them because of the looks or something else. I am not trying to change your mind just thought I would throw it out there. :)

Sorry they didn't work out, but I am confident you can find some suitable replacements. :) Happy searching...

Thanks,

Patrick

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck finding a new doe. I know the Black Mesa herd in AZ has some really nice Nubians.
Yes, they have some AMAZING goats. I think they mostly sell kids though and that would put me back in the same position. Plus the price tag is a little over my budget right now:rolleyes: There is a doe from the Black Mesa Ranch in milk for sale right now in the Phoenix area but that is still quite the drive for me. She is more in my budget priced at 300.00. I am hoping to find something closer to my area if I can.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,

I have no idea what is in the milk that causes allergies, but nubian milk tends to be stronger than Nigerian Dwarf or Saanen milk (just a suggestion). I would totally understand if you like them because of the looks or something else. I am not trying to change your mind just thought I would throw it out there. :)

Sorry they didn't work out, but I am confident you can find some suitable replacements. :) Happy searching...

Thanks,

Patrick
I am not partial to them because of their looks (although they are adorable) just the creamy quality of milk they produce. What do you mean it is stronger? Richer? More gamey? A friend of mine has a Nubian doe that gives the best milk I've ever had. My son is not affected by drinking the raw Nubian milk, just cows milk, cheese, etc. I have also considered Nigerians but would like to get enough milk to make cheese, chocolate, etc for him. Saanens are not very plentiful in my area...at least I don't think so. None of the 4-H leaders I've talked to breed them.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry they didn't work out for you. Good luck with finding a doe in milk.
Thanks, I'm hoping I can find something...slim pickings right now at least until spring. The people who purchased them have a small farm and were looking for mini Nubians in particular for their dairy so it worked out great. They are very happy in their new home even though they are missed here.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some pics of a doe I'm considering. She is in Phoenix also, not the Black Mesa girl. She's actually in Tonopah...waayyy too far from me. Any thoughts on her conformation/udder? Also, it's no out of line for me to ask to taste her milk before purchase is it?

Attachments

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
She looks nice and well cared for. Could use more capacity, but she doesn't look full in that picture. She does have nice plumb teats that look like they would be easy to milk. I don't think it is out of line for someone to ask to taste the milk first, I've had people ask before and I have always been more than happy to save a quart of that does milk to be tasted. Just don't forget to ask about CAE testing!

Nubian milk typically has a higher butterfat than the other breeds making it a little sweeter, kind of like the difference in a jersey and a holstein. As far as I know most milk allergies are due to the higher amount of lactose in cows milk and the fact that the fat globules in cows milk are larger and harder to digest than in goats milk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts