The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I pulled most kids from my three does as I’m Trying to break the CAE/CL cycle. The first two had multiples so I left them each a buckling kid that will be weathered and be given away as a pet. The third doe had a single large doe. This was her first pregnancy.

I found her licking it off very lovingly and I had to take it as her CAE is already symptomatic and she has already had a CL lesion. I tried giving her a buckling from the other doe covered in amniotic fluid but she refused it.

It’s heartbreaking as she is my favorite. I kept her after culling all the others, as last year she was a csection baby born dead. I spent fifteen minutes just getting her to breath, then another 45 to get breathing regular as the vet and his wife stitched up her mom. I took her home flaccid and nonresponsive and held her all evening and took her to sleep with me, assuming she would die in the night.

Instead she woke up hungry and made a miraculous recovery. She would nurse off mom but then spend most of her time with me and she is my favorite goat ever.

Her baby is a beautiful big long legged doe. But momma is so sad losing her baby. It’s going on 48 hours and she just keeps calling and calling for her baby. I tried putting her near the baby, thinking even if it can’t nurse, she could still see it. She talks to it but doesn’t recognize it as hers, so runs away from it.

baby is very healthy but I’m worried about mommas distress level-any advice on how to help her?

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
It takes time. We had to do the same many years ago..pull a single baby from a cae pos mom. It's best imo not to bring her for visits and risk her health. Mom will recover faster if she thinks baby is gone.
Be sure to keep mom comfortable..udder healthy. B complex is a good support and of course lots of TLC.
You did what you had to do to save her baby from a deadly disease. Its hard but worth it. My baby is now 7 years old and cae free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts