The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So we got a 5/6 month old buckling last week. He was only one of 2 bucklings left in a what had been a group of 14. The boy he was left with had been 2 weeks old than he was and tormented him .. Little bully.
My heart went out to this little Nigerian/Pygmy cross. We needed a boy either wethered or one to wether to keep our little nearly weaned buck company because we are about to move the girls to their own pen. I kept the new boy separate but within nose touching and smelling distance and we wethered him. Gave him his shots and we had the vet by to check everyone to make sure everyone was sound. Well..the girls are just plain mean! They won't let him eat I have to feed him separate and I have to stand guard or pen him in his large dog carrier so they can't steal his food and hay! Toby our buck is fine with him for the most part but the girls are little brats. Out in the yard they ignore him unless food is involved ... But then he goes to the far corner of the yard and avoids everyone...but he is so sweet and gentle... I'm just worried because he seems so depressed. Tail is never up and head seems droopy. I took him some "goat crack" (oatmeal cookie) and he perked up until the girls started over. Then I backed off so they couldn't get mean. he just also doesn't seem to have a lot of energy and lays down a lot...I have some injectable B complex...but no idea how much to give.... Would this help him? And any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
I agree, a new home, new herd and wethered, his little system had a lot thrown at him .....lets rule out illness...start with his temp...101.5-103.5 is normal range. Check his lower inner eye lids for color, you want to see deep pink to red....Give him A B complex shot...1 cc per 25# sub q, this will support his body if ill or depressed...Probiotics will support his gut...
Let us know what you find temp and eye lid wise...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!

Sorry it took me so long! So I got more info on this little guy...and boy has he come into his own... first I found out his actual birth day was in July. Which meant he was younger than I had been told when I originally had gotten him. Also... I went with the vitamin B shot - we dewormed and vaccined him - I also added minerals to his diet and just watched him for a bit. We had a vet stop in and give another look. The vet that stopped in has goats of his own (thank the gods!) lol

He said that given where he came from and his previous diet he was probably sorely in need of vitamins and minerals and the readjustment period would do him some good - well it has and now I'm dealing with some other issues with him. one is he is kind of a jerk now during heat - I've actually made another post explaining that and asking for help there. - The other issue is due to his previous malnutrition he is riddled with lice. yep. poor boy can't catch a break. interesting enough my other goats including my buck who beds with him isn't nearly so bothered...so I'm snowed in but now I"m looking for ways to help this guy out - which may be just another wiat and see approach as his immune system builds up and Spring thaw sets in so we can muck out the stalls and get a good cleaning going - then I will prolly shave him for summer (he looks like a wooly mammoth) .. thank you everyone for your support in this thread though! he perked right up after all this. :)

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I highly recommend Cylence cattle pour on for the lice issue. Apply 1mL per 25lbs (give or take, it's not a precision type issue) and put it topically along his spine and up to his ears using a syringe without the needle (I go backwards, from tail to ears, so that the syringe parts the thick winter fur as I go). Repeat this in 3 weeks and again 3 weeks after that. It works really really well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts