Sad News

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by bigoakfarm, Jan 25, 2008.

1. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    :sigh:

We lost one of our little triplets over night. Pillow Scham (ND doe) and her triplets were doing so well yesterday I worried that they needed more room. The kids were so bouncy and Pillow was so ready to leave the barn with the rest of the herd yesterday that I decided it was time to take the four of them out of the kidding pen and move them to a more open (but still indoors pen) adjoining the rest of the herd. Evidently, that was too much room and Pillow couldn't keep all three kids warm overnight. We had unexpected temps below 0 last night. We knew it was supposed to be very cold again but I was shocked when I saw the temps this morning. We woke up to NO power this morning and it was soooo cold. We found her first born (a colorful doeling) dead at feeding time. :blue: It's horrible. I'm sure she would still be here if I hadn't moved them from their cozy kidding pen. It's been a very sad day here. In 5 years, we've kidded about half our herd in Jan and Feb and only had one other loss before this to the cold. This last couple of weeks have been extreme for our area. I think I'll hold off for all spring kids in the future though. This is awful.

Kristen

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Kristen,
    I am so sorry to hear the news. Please do not beat yourself up over it. You did what you thought was best. I would of done the same thing, matter of fact I have been. It also has been really cold here, and I put them in a smaller stall so they could be together for the body heat. I do believe we all would and have done this. I try very hard to look at it as she was not meant to live. If she was it would not of happened. She is up above watching over all the rest.
    :grouphug: :grouphug: from me.

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs from Tennessee to Kentucky :hug:

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Lots of :grouphug: 's coming your way.I would have done the same thing.I agree with Sweetgoats don't beat yourself up over this.I'm very sorry for your loss :( .

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Oh I am so sorry!!!
    :HUG:

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That is so sad for you- I'm so sorry that happened.
    I know I try to do what's best for mine and sometimes it just doesn't work out like I thought. I hope the other two are doing well and that you warm up soon.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Kristen I am SO SORRY! :cry:

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh I am so sorry Kristen!! Lots of ((((HUGS))))

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My sympathies Kristen, hugs to you and I sure know how you feel with the weather being so COLD! Pillow still has her other 2 for comfort and so do you, love them up extra well so they won't miss their sister. :sigh:

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am soooooo sorry! I wish that there was something I could do or say that would make it better - but you will be in my thoughts!

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    My condolences as well Kristen..remember when things go really well we don't second guess ourselves..when they don't we know we did the best we could at the time and what we thought was the right thing to do. So sorry for your loss.

13. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Thanks so very much for all your sympathy guys. I was just feeling kind of bummed because this was a preventable death. I think what is so frustrating for me is that I have a bad habit of trying to treat them like humans. They aren't people though and just because I thought I would be bored stiff and tired of staying in that same pen, I moved a doe with triplets to a pen that was made of livestock panels. It is inside the barn and so it's not drafty but they couldn't retain any of their body heat in the bigger stall. That was just a stupid mistake and if I had treated them like the helpless animals they are instead of trying to put myself in Pillow's place, I would have known better than to move them before the weather broke. It's something I need to work on.

It's great to come here and talk to people that know how frustrating one death can be. Thanks so much for your kind words :grouphug: They mean a lot.

Kristen

14. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Oh Kristen, I'm really sorry for your loss. (((Hugs)))

15. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    sorry for ur loss

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry for your lost Kristen!! :hug:

17. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Awww, I am so sorry!! I lost my first doeling. That was so incredibly hard! Losing babies is so tough.
    But please, please do not beat yourself up over it! Like everyone else said.. you were doing what you thought was best. I would have done the same thing.
    ((((((hugs)))))) to you.

18. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    I'm sorry Kristen...I know this season hasn't been awesome thus far... keep your chin up *hugs* to your girls - thoughts to you and yours from us...should you need anything at all - we're here...

19. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'm so sorry you lost her.. I lost my first doeling, it's hard.

20. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    Kristen i am sooo sorry to hear this. i just now read it. i do the same thing with mine & try to think like them as if they where real babies. but we are only doing what we think is best for them. please don't blame your self & remember every thing happens for a reason & is out of our control. :hug: to you & the family & just remember you were only trying to help.