The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last Tuesday I received a phone call from a women whom I had trade buck service for a doe last winter her doe was in labor and she thought she was in trouble she had gone in and couldn't feel anything ( she use to raise goats but hasn't in yrs she had had this doe for couple yrs and she had given birth fine last yr and she was around 11) I told her I would go over and see if I could do anything. When I had arrived I check doe and baby was just inside and was presenting normally I stayed she delivered 2 bueatiful boys and after birth had come out but was still attached this was 8:40 at night and I hadn't done my own chores yet I told to do what I would do molasses water keep eye on mom make sure everything seemed good but all looked well oh and her vet arrived same time I did vet left shortly before I did apparently the women left shortly after we did when she arrived early the next morning the doe(Molly) was shaking and after birth was still attached she called me I told her to go in check make sure there wasnt another baby in there she did and there was it had been in a C position i told her to call vet and try reposition baby so she could get it out she managed to after a half hour to get the baby out (dead) and then the afterbirth came out Molly stopped shaking and started eating afterbirth ( vet couldn't get there for over a hour when she called) when vet got there she gave Molly long acting antibiotic and calcium I called checked on Molly that evening and aside from being sore not moving to much she seemed to be doing ok the next day she wasnt eating just couple nibbles here and there I suggested gateraid BoSe and B and I took them all down to her to do Friday Molly was nibbling very little grass was still attentive to babies but laying down a lot drinking some but not a ton Saturday I took her some loose minerals she was eating hay and seemed more alert today I went to visit her see how she was doing and when I arrived Molly was splayed out and almost gone I was not at all prepared to see that poor babies where climbing on her and crying I called the women didn't get a answer so I sat with Molly petting her and talking to her softly and she passed shortly after it was so heart braking I just felt so awful and sad the women finally got back to me and came to take care of thing I ended up bring boys back to my place to care for for now it was just such a sad day and there are so many things about the whole situation that just bother me greatly I hope I can let be and use it as a learning experience and it doesn't make me crazy

image-1912777161.jpg

This is Molly and the boys

image-3147537819.jpg

Attachments

·
2,203 Posts
You're concerned she didn't pass the afterbirth? Unless I read wrong I don't see anything sad?

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Im sorry...; ( glad the boys are in your care for now...they are beautiful

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I am so sorry. I hear so many stories like this where a vet was called and didn't seem to do their job. That really bothers me too. I was unhappy with the care Daffodil received at the vets as well. Do vets in general just not value goats?
Anyway, I am very sorry for your loss, if I understood the story right this doe was originally yours? One that the lady got from you? Even if she wasn't originally your doe I know it was heartbreaking to watch her die. I hope the babies do well. Thanks for being there for mama at such a time.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am so sorry. I hear so many stories like this where a vet was called and didn't seem to do their job. That really bothers me too. I was unhappy with the care Daffodil received at the vets as well. Do vets in general just not value goats?
Anyway, I am very sorry for your loss, if I understood the story right this doe was originally yours? One that the lady got from you? Even if she wasn't originally your doe I know it was heartbreaking to watch her die. I hope the babies do well. Thanks for being there for mama at such a time.
No the doe was hers I traded my bucks breeding service for her does daughter thank you I was just not impressed with vet at all!! Very sad

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I'm so sorry..... :( :hug:

·
2,203 Posts
Ah, when I posted I hadn't read the full article, being she hit wrong button.

I'm very sorry for your loss dear, always a terrible thing. :( :hugs:

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am so sorry to hear she didn't make it. I lost two babies this year although I must say, I have an excellent vet (at Bethlehem Veterinary Hospital in Bethlehem, GA). They stay after hours, they come out to the farm, they do whatever is needed. I don't know what I would do without those guys.
Hopefully your little babies will turn out strong and healthy - they are adorable !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts