Sad, so Sad

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by grandmajo, Feb 28, 2009.

1. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Hubby suggested that we go up to Hillsdale this morning, they have an auction every Saturday, usually 3 or 4 rings of stuff that people have brought in and barns with poultry, rabbits, goats, etc. I haven't went up there, because I just haaaave to look at the goats that they bring in for auction.

We got up there, and there was this poor Boer, her knees where so swollen, that she could hardly walk. I had CAE bells going off in my head. On top of that, her hoofs looked like skis, it had to have been months since she'd had a trim.

In another pen was a baby boer, a couple of older ones, 2 mixed breed goats and 2 sheep. These animals were so filthy, it was unreal. And the older animals were all beating up on the baby.

I felt like crying when I compared to these poor things to my goaties at home in their nice warm barn, clean, healthy and happy.
    :cry:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I hear ya grandmajo - that is why there is no way in heck you will find me going to the sells.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh I know .....It is very sad to see ....the way that some animals have to suffer..... :( :hug:

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, grandmajo, I have gone there before...usually, it is disgusting. A lot of the animals and other things there are being sold as a last ditch effort for the owner to make a couple bucks...because they can't take care of them/ are desperate for money...Hillsdale Co. is such a depressed area...unemployment is about 13% (probably more, in reality) and rising...

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh I know how you feel. At our local auction I have seen some pretty sad looking goats. One time I went there and there was a doe with hooves about 6 inches, they were curling up and she could barely walk. I could not believe it. She was pretty old so it looked like she never once had her hooves trimmed in her entire life. Very sad... :tears:

6. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Granmajo, instead of wasting time at the auction you should've come to the Small Farm Conference. It was GREAT!!! We're going to be doing another one next year. Hopefully you'll come to that one.