*Sad Update* Pregnant goat with bloody goo.

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by cyanne, Jul 5, 2009.

1. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I have 3 pregnant NDs. They were all bred around the same time frame and are due any day now.

All three have started building their udders (they are not huge but have definitely grown), the ligaments don't feel terribly loose to me, but this is my first kidding to I'm no expert by far.

Today I noticed that the oldest female, Pepper (she is the mother of the other two girls so she has kidded before) had bloody colored goop dripping out from her, umm, lady parts. The goop was not solid blood, just tinted with that rusty color. It was really thick and slimy and kind of hung out the back collecting dirt all day so I cleaned her up a little this evening because I was worried about infection.

Now, I read on the Fiasco Farm website that some does will expel CLEAR goop before the birth and that it's normal. It also mentions AMBER colored goo as a sign of imminent birth. The only mention of bloody goo is that it happens about a week after kidding. She definitely has not kidded already.

So, what does this mean? Is this a bad sign or does it just mean that she is close to kidding? She is not acting distressed or unusual in any other way. The only abnormal thing I have seen her do is that she has been going in to lay down inside the plastic Dogloo by herself from time to time when she would normally stick by her two older daughters.

I also noticed that she looked skinnier that she had been looking, like her sides were not sticking out as far as normal, and the area just in front of her hips on either side looked kind of sunken in, like she had not been drinking enough or something (she has access to plenty of clean water). I did read that the kids move before birth so that the right side is not bulging out, so maybe this is what I am seeing when I say she looks 'thinner.'

I have read and re-read every bit of info about kidding I could find so I thought I was prepared, but now that the actual event is arriving, I am left scratching my head.

Any advice?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: HELP! Pregnant goat with bloody goo...normal or not?

Calm down, don't panic....and Welcome Cyanne....sounds like you are going to have babies on the ground VERY soon. She looks thinner because the kids have dropped, and her going off by herself is a way of saying ..."hey, I need some calm, private time to give birth"
    The "goo" you are seeing is normal...Exactly what day would she be on, gestation wise? Most of us with nigies go with 145 days from the date of breeding to get a due date as MOST nigies will deliver before the standard 150 days. The pre birth mucous can range from a white, clear, rusty smeared to none at all.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

First off Welcome to the group!
    It sounds like you are getting close. A little blood in the goo is normal. It does happen. But if you start seeing a lot of blood before kidding there could be a problem. The side sinking in are her kids dropping which usually happens a few days to a few hours before birth. Her going into the igloo by herself is another sign labor is very close. A lot of does like their privacy. If you have an area where you can pen her off but she can still see the other two that would be great. If you see her pawing at the ground she is getting really close. I would say that you will have babies in the next twenty four hours.
    When she goes into labor you will see her get a glazed look on her face. they tend to stare off into space while looking at nothing in particular. She may also put her head on the wall. A lot of does will curl their tail flat over their spine as they have a contraction. When she gets down to serious pushing her back legs will get really stiff, she will lay down kind of on one side and push out with her back legs.
    Hope this helps.
    beth

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I'm glad to see you here and agree with liz. You are going to have some kids here shortly. Good luck and here's hoping everything goes smoothly. :pray:

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

oh and we're a picture happy group! Dont be afraid to post lots of them!
    beth

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I will add that I agree with sparks about having an area where each doe can kid by herself and be able to bond with her babies would be a good choice, even though kids have springs in there little butts by the time they are 2-3 days old, they would still not be quick enough to get out of the way should one of the other does decide to be aggressive with them.

How is Pepper doing?

7. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

So far no change, I'm about to go out and do another check, though.

Right now she is in my improvised kidding 'stall' which is a 4 ft by 6ft goat tote thingy that we use to haul goats in the back of a pickup. I laid down plenty of clean straw and put a bucket of fresh water in there before putting her in for the night.

I wasn't so much worried about the other girls since she is the queen b**ch as far as dominance, but I have a young LGD that is untested as far as being around a kidding. He's around 11 months old and he's been perfect so far with the does and the 4 month old kids that I brought home as part of my starter herd, but I'm still nervous about the idea of him being unsupervised with a brand new baby all covered in goo.

If the other two girls suddenly start looking close, I will probably switch tactics and lock up the LGD in the kidding pen!

The rest of my little herd consists of Pepper's 2 daughters (the other two that are due any day), 3 young adult registered NDs, one 4 month old doeling, and (in a separate pen) my buckling and his wether buddy.

Will definitely post pics as soon as the kids arrive!

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Since she is an experienced mom, she knows how to make you totally nuts before she has them, and I too would be watchful of the LGD pup especially since a birth would be new to him.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

yes ...be very careful with the pup being around birthing.....

your does... if they are anything like mine....will slam him....telling him to get away.....Most New moms.. are usually very protective... :wink:

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Just wondering if Pepper has you bald yet? And just think, you have 2 others that will be doing the same to you very soon :greengrin:

11. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Yep, she is definitely trying to make me go prematurely grey!

Earlier today I went to check on her and she stood in the pen staring at me for a bit, then squatted like she was trying to pee but nothing came out. I checked her rear and she had more of the goo hanging out (no kidding bubble, just slime). I got kind of excited, thinking that the squatting thing meant that she was starting her contractions, but since then she just has been laying there looking at me completely unimpressed by my growing anxiety.

I think she knows how much I value my sleep and she is holding off until she can keep me up all night on a work night since I was off for the 4 day holiday weekend. Tomorrow I'm back to work so I'm sure she'll kid at like 2am tonight just to make my life more...interesting. :roll:

12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Welcome to our world. :greengrin: :wink: :hug:

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

yep sounds like shes getting there..just keep cheking her, ligs too, posty etc. :thumb:

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

She'll deliver before Midnight, I hope! Usually the squatting and nothing coming out is sign that she's feeling pressure....the goo is likely from her dilating, you'll know when she's ready to get down to business. And I hope that she lets you get some sleep tonite.

15. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

Welcome Cyanne You will have babies soon soon soon! :leap:

Now, please make sure that water bucket is up high enough so that the kids cant get into it!

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Welcome Cyanne, So do you have any babies yet? If so we love pictures.

17. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Nope, still waiting! She has not really gotten serious about things yet. So far all I've seen is the mucous and a couple of times I've seen her squat or stretch her back but no real pushing. I think she plans to draw out my torture as long as possible.

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Do you know the due dates on the 3 girls? Most will set day 150 after breeding as a due date, but the mini's ( nigies and pygmies) tend to go from day 145. Having a due date would give you an idea if she's in "practice" or slightly over due.

19. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Nope, they were really sneaky about the whole breeding thing. I only caught ONE of the 3 girls in the act (in the middle of the night, no less) and I wrote down her due date using the calculator on the Fiasco Farms website as 7/11.

btw, the whole breeding thing is a funny story...I was out after dark closing up the chicken coop and doing a last check of everybody before going in for the night when I heard this awful commotion coming from the goat pen. It sounded like some horrible growling thing had gotten in there and was chasing the goats around. The noise was really scary and sounded like no animal I'd heard before. My hubby had the flashlight and was over by the coop so I couldn't really see what was happening, but I could tell that whatever 'it' was, it was chasing one or more of the goats around the pen at top speed. I called for my hubby and ran into the pen (stupid, I know) to try to rescue my babies, and when he got there with the light I could see that our mysterious monster was none other than Elvis the ND buck chasing Bitsy around the pen to try to mount her. The horrible noises were his idea of romantic talk, I guess. :roll:

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

lol..yep those bucks sound very silly..thor sounded like a barking dog. :ROFL: