The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a question. My parents own a land where they have 3 goats 2 girls one boy. Both girls had babies 2 girls one boy. Think one goat had one and one and the other girl. This is Sadie she was 2 weeks here. My mom said the boys (dad and son) are already in heat and now Sadie one of the twins (her and sis look the same different mom) woke up yesterday with a cloudy eye walking sideways and now won’t eat. Seem very lathergic. She tried to bottle feed her but won’t take it. The mom wasn’t really in that “motherly instincts “ when they were born because she wouldn’t nurse them or walk away when they were nursing. Think mom was for the bro and sis. She did manage to put some special drops in her eyes, but now she won’t eat. Not sure if the boys made a move on her and that’s why she is acting strange when they first bought the goats they had 2 and 2. One was smaller and died a month later I believe 3 months. They didn’t have no experience back then maybe the breeders sold him early 🤷‍♀️ but now Sadie is 3 months and acting like billy. The one who passed away last year. Any recommendations? They live out in a farm very rural area so it’s hard to find a vet to come look at them. The ones that are in the area only do bird cat/dog. Not sure if any of you vets can shine some light or advice on what they can do before she spirals or is this a phase? The babies (all 3) are 3 months now. Update now Sadie has her tongue hanging from the side seen in pic. The other pic is Sadie healthy normal when she was born in may.
Plant Goat Grass Terrestrial animal Sheep

Hair Head Hand Eye Plant

·
Administrator
92,609 Posts
Is the goat blind on the side of the tongue issue? Is the ear drooping?
Head trying to move that way.
You may want to start treating for listeria and polio.

High doses of penG and thiamine, every 4 to 6 hrs, along with Dex or banamine for brain swelling once a day for a few days or as needed thereafter.

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
I agree.. immediately treatment is needed.
Penicillin..1 cc pee 10 pounds sub q every 4 to 6 hours
Thiamine or high level b complex injectable..equal 500 mg thaimine every 4 to 6 hours
Banamine 1 cc per 100 pounds once a day for 3 days OR Dexamethsone 1 cc per 20 pounds IM once a day for 5 days then decrease dosage over 5 days.

These treatments are imperative to offer any hope for her. Let us know if anything you are not understanding...Keep her fed and hydrated. Pen her in a safe place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where do you find these medicines at? They don’t have vets that see goats just the typical animals cats dogs birds etc they live in a rural town very small. She said she tilted her head back and she had food stuffed in there so they empty her mouth rinse it and gave her probiotics medicine and drops for her eye. They did say when they touched her face she won’t blink and her ears is droopy now. She is just laying in the corner her brother did come lay next to her for a few mins but the mom won’t come near her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree.. immediately treatment is needed.
Penicillin..1 cc pee 10 pounds sub q every 4 to 6 hours
Thiamine or high level b complex injectable..equal 500 mg thaimine every 4 to 6 hours
Banamine 1 cc per 100 pounds once a day for 3 days OR Dexamethsone 1 cc per 20 pounds IM once a day for 5 days then decrease dosage over 5 days.

These treatments are imperative to offer any hope for her. Let us know if anything you are not understanding...Keep her fed and hydrated. Pen her in a safe place.
Thank you where do you find these medicines at? They don’t have access to a vet that sees goats. They said when they first got goats they had a small one and he died a month after getting him and he had symptoms very similar to Sadie’s.

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
Farm store like tractor supply may have antibiotics and b complex injectable..banamaine or Dexamethsone are both RX. Can your vet..even a dog and cat vet w should have banamine. Tell them youbhave a goat who shows all the signs of polio and listeriosis..maybe they will sell you a few doses. Also If you know any one who has horses..they may have banamine on hand.
In the least..get antibiotics and the b complex asap. Keep trying to either the banamine or Dexamethsone.
Also wear gloves when handling her. If it's listeriosis..it can be contagious to humans. Not all strains are...but take care just in case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Farm store like tractor supply may have antibiotics and b complex injectable..banamaine or Dexamethsone are both RX. Can your vet..even a dog and cat vet w should have banamine. Tell them youbhave a goat who shows all the signs of polio and listeriosis..maybe they will sell you a few doses. Also If you know any one who has horses..they may have banamine on hand.
In the least..get antibiotics and the b complex asap. Keep trying to either the banamine or Dexamethsone.
Also wear gloves when handling her. If it's listeriosis..it can be contagious to humans. Not all strains are...but take care just in case.
Hey my mom found this it’s vitamin b complex she found at the tractor store and penecilin she also found bit she wasn’t sure the doses? Would you know

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
Those are perfect..
Penicillin is 1 cc per 10 pounds Sub q(under the skin) Lift a tent push 18 g needle in. Draw back the plunger and check for blood. No blood is good to go..if you see blood...re adjust and try again. Go slow.

B complex..give her 5 cc sub q as well. It sounds like a lot but it's needed.

Do both every 4 hours on a 24 hour clock. Then we can do every 6 hours if she responds.

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
You are doing great..don't forget to breath!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those are perfect..
Penicillin is 1 cc per 10 pounds Sub q(under the skin) Lift a tent push 18 g needle in. Draw back the plunger and check for blood. No blood is good to go..if you see blood...re adjust and try again. Go slow.

Do both every 4 hours on a 24 hour clock. Then we can do every 6 hours if she responds.
Thank you so much! They are administering it now. I really appreciate the advice wish us luckZ hoping she pulls thru the night

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
Sending good thoughts your way!! You are giving her her best chance. Keep calling around to find banamine or Dexamethsone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those are perfect..

Hey I’m sorry my mom had another question for the medicine b one on the bottle said 5 cc for every 100 lbs and they weighed her and she only weighs 11 lbs she had given her 2 cc but said does she need the 5cc or was the 2cc enough?? She also gave her 1cc of the penecilin wasn’t sure if that was to low. Also she said she didn’t seem in distress when walking but she was walking more in one side the side that’s “paralized “ she isn’t walking on that side if that makes sense

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
Dont be sorry.. we are here to help and we are glad your here asking queatiins!!. Tell your mom..ask away!!!
She needs 500 mg of the thiamine that is in the b complex. So of your bottle says it has 100 mg thiamine..she needs a full 5 cc. Even though she's tiny. She will pee put what she doesn't needs. At 11 pounds 1 cc of pen should be ok. Next shot I would error on safe side and give 1.5 cc.
Shes a doll. Looks so peaceful there napping!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts