Safe Disinfectant

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by capriola-nd, Sep 6, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I recently bought some nice new feeders for goats that hook to the wall, I think they are three-feet long each. I am really happy with them but do not have a way to keep the goats from putting their feet in them. So, besides scrubbing them out regularly, is there some kind of solution that can just be sprayed lightly and left or sprayed and quickly wiped. I need something that would be quick and easy for my cousin to do while I am not here. You know how they have the Clorox bleach mixture for kitchens? It's supposed to be effective on disinfecting but safe to use on counters and around food. Maybe I should just get that. . . any other suggestions? Is there a light mixture of bleach and water (very, very light on the bleach) that would make a good spray for these?

Any of your thoughts or other ideas would be appreciated. Like I said, they are cleaned out at least once a week and always wiped out before feeding grain, just need something a little extra.

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

What about the clorox wipes for kitchens?
    That would be really easy- just pull one out and give them a quick wipe down! :wink:

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I use the Anywhere Spray (I think Clorox makes it) on my boys water buckets and the Clorox wipes out in the barn to wipe things down.......but don't know how much it helps as I'm having worm issues right now :( !

4. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I've read and been told by my vet that once Chlorox (bleach) comes into contact with organic matter (ie, poop) the bleach loses its disinfecting properties. So, you'll have to use the bleach on a clean surface for it to work.

I don't know what would kill germs on organic matter -- boiling water or steam?