The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I am new to the goat spot and goats in general. I have 2 wethered nigerian dwarf goats that are just over a year old. I've had them since they were 10 weeks and weaned. I am feeding orchard hay 2X daily, baking soda and minerals are available to them at all times, alfalfa pellets and scratch and peck feed. I have been giving them some fruits and vegetables as well. They are especially excited to get blueberries. I was wondering about a variety of vegetables. I read so many conflicting articles on line. Some say broccoli is good for goats, some say not because it can harm their stomach system. Fruits seem to be ok for most. No citrus, but bananas, melons, and apples are ok.
What vegetables are safe all the time?
Do they need a salt block of some sort?
Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Hi there, and welcome to the forum! 馃榾

First off, baking soda is actually no longer recommended to be fed free choice. Especially to wethers as it can contribute to the possibility of Urinary Calculi by negating the affects of ammonium chloride. Also scratch and peck feed? Is that like a scratch grain for chickens? If so that is not very good for them.

As far as vegetables and fruit goes, goats digestive systems aren't made to handle a whole lot of those types of things, but as long as you are feeding them in moderation, they can have quite a wide variety of fruits and veggies. Squash and root vegtables (other than potatoes) would be on my top list of healthy veggies.

Here's a very reliable list of foods that are good and bad for them. Fias Co Farm: Goats- Edible & Poisonous for Goats

On the salt block front, they don't need a salt block, but some do benefit from them. Loose free choice minerals are more important for though. If however you would like to get them a salt block. Redmond makes a very good rock for goats.

Hope that helps! 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, and welcome to the forum! 馃榾

First off, baking soda is actually no longer recommended to be fed free choice. Especially to wethers as it can contribute to the possibility of Urinary Calculi by negating the affects of ammonium chloride. Also scratch and peck feed? Is that like a scratch grain for chickens? If so that is not very good for them.

As far as vegetables and fruit goes, goats digestive systems aren't made to handle a whole lot of those types of things, but as long as you are feeding them in moderation, they can have quite a wide variety of fruits and veggies. Squash and root vegtables (other than potatoes) would be on my top list of healthy veggies.

Here's a very reliable list of foods that are good and bad for them. Fias Co Farm: Goats- Edible & Poisonous for Goats

On the salt block front, they don't need a salt block, but some do benefit from them. Loose free choice minerals are more important for though. If however you would like to get them a salt block. Redmond makes a very good rock for goats.

Hope that helps! 馃槈
Thank you!!!! It actually helps a great deal. 馃槂

Super Moderator
Get a cobalt block. That is a salt block with cobalt in it. Definitely remove the baking soda. The loose mineral is important to have out at all times.

I'm assuming scratch and peck is the brand name of your feed? If so, that is a good brand. I work at a store that will order that brand for people and one person orders goat feed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts