Safeguard not working.....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by agilitymaster01, May 18, 2015.

1. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    We are looking for another wormer that will help if we happen to have the deer worm again. The normal treatment is Safeguard and Ivomec+. We have found out (after loosing both goats that had it) that Safeguard is not doing anything. Is there another wormer and the dosage that someone recommends? :thinking: Thanks in advance!

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would switch to Valbazen......1 cc per 10# for five days along with Banamine or dex...and ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# sub Q for five days...

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What dosage did you use for Safeguard?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good advice and question.

5. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    We used 1cc/7lbs for the safeguard goat dewormer. That is what I was told a while back. I can sure try valbazen and Ivomec +. I want to hit the goats up with that when they come in from pasture for over the winter months, and when they go out again in the summer months. I would like to try to prevent it from happening again. That is a scary thing that meningeal worm!

6. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    NO!! Safeguard DOES NOT WORK! That Stuff is USELESS...I lost 9 goats while using it.
    People ask if it's safe for pregnant goats...yep that stuff is safe for the goat and the worms.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I believe Ivomec plus is the preventive treatment...safe guard/valbazen with ivomec plus is treatment

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Ivomec monthly by injection is the prevention. You can use plain Ivomec for that. Plus is fine but doesn't do anything more for m worm.