The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Patsy is always my first mama to go. She’s a 4F this year. Last couple of years she’s been 150 days on the dot from the day the Billy was brought home. Expecting quads again this year. I don’t feel any ligaments and she’s filling her udder… her vulva isn’t as goopy as usual tho and doesn’t seem puffy yet.
I feel like I’ve been waiting forever for the 150 day mark and now she’s making me wait longer! 😂
150 days was yesterday and it was a wet rainy day so I shut her inside. Cold and windy today…. I feel like if she wasn’t shut in she would have kidded already! 😒
Goat Goat-antelope Terrestrial animal Sheep Livestock
Beak Penguin Fawn Terrestrial animal Carnivore
Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass Snout Sheep
Goat Fawn Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope Sheep

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty doe, can’t wait to see the kids. ;)
Thank you 😁
I did decide to let her go back outside. Thought maybe if she walks around and eats some more green feed it might speed things up. She wasn’t eating her hay and I was worried about her getting too much grain/alfalfa pellets. After being gone the cpl days, some nannies have decided to challenge her for herd matriarch and some yearlings keep sniffing her hind end wondering what she’s got going on there. Maybe after a couple more hours being pestered she’ll decide the barn isn’t so bad a place after all 😂🍀🙏

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy kidding, whenever she chooses to deliver!😁 I have a few like that too!
Now my kids are hoping for st pattys day babies and going over different name options🍀 😂🍀
I’m hoping they don’t all decide to kid at the same time… at least this weeks weather looks decent other than the wind. Lol
I’ll post some baby pics when I get them ❤

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
8,010 Posts
So far my does have kidded in groups, when they want to. This year. Ive missed the due dates for about 4 of them. They have driven me nuts this year! One doe, didnt take,( or shows no signs of it) so Im waiting on 3 FFs and 1 old pro. I hope your girls are better than mine!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far my does have kidded in groups, when they want to. This year. Ive missed the due dates for about 4 of them. They have driven me nuts this year! One doe, didnt take,( or shows no signs of it) so Im waiting on 3 FFs and 1 old pro. I hope your girls are better than mine!
I should be finding out how they all do soon… I only have the date the billy was introduced to go by, not actual breeding dates. So I’m already upset my #1 mama wasn’t ready to go right at the 150 days 😆
I’m going to be overrun with little ones this year tho- I’ve got 2 4F that are multiple throwers (triplets their 2nd year and quads last year) and then a 3F who had twins her first year and trips last year… 1 2F, looks like twins judging by size (we’ve all been surprised by that 😅) and then 5 yearling FF’s.
I also have a 2 yo who I think aborted her first kid. There was bloody showing under her tail… she never re bred last winter for a late spring kid and I’m not sure if she’s bred now. I did see her wagging her tail and stand to be mounted, but I cannot see any signs of her being bred. This is her last chance or she’s variety meat this fall…
She was a triplet, but 2 does and 1 buckling. Her sister threw a cute little doeling last year 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Premium Member
8,010 Posts
Wow trips & quads? Mine usually twin or singles for FFs. My first trips were this year to a 4yr old. She stepped on one, so now just small twins. But ADORABLE, so they can stay with me..lol. You will have to keep us posted on when your girls share their hostages! All of us (TGS) LOVE new kid pictures. Im afraid Im addicted..lol nothing cuter in my books! And we have a 2022 Kidding Tally you can put your wee ones on and add to our tally!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck with your remaining girls! My first 3 mamas all had singles their first time and I’d read that boers typically only had singles and twins. Was completely taken off guard the next year with 2 having trips and my FF having twins.
I haven’t had a FF have more than twins tho- sorry if I was confusing. Lol

Nothing new to report yet. They can’t keep them in forever!! 😂

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m not even sure who’s going to kid first at this point. I’ve got FF who are nibbling at their teats and talking to the bellies and get swollen. Then I’ve got this big 2F, Flippy, waddling around… Patsy might not be the first one this time around 🤷🏼‍♀️
Dog breed Working animal Goat Liver Terrestrial animal

Plant Sky Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal

Wood Outdoor bench Fawn Terrestrial animal Liver

I just hope somebody hurries up and kids so I can have some babies already- I’m spending way too much time looking under goat tails 😂

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok… I was wrong on both goats. Jolene is for sure in labor tho- I’m positive this time! I put her in my stall last night… checked on her repeatedly and then went to bed about midnight. Hurried out at 5:30 this morning expecting babies… but no change yet. Just a very uncomfortable mama. She’s having contractions but hasn’t bared down to push. I’m a little worried if her kids are too big to get into position… but trying to make sure I give her time to do it on her own and be patient. Wish us luck today 🍀🍀🍀

(I can’t seem to add pics right now… guess we’ll wait for the baby ones- that’s what everyone wants anyway- right? 😂)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Happy kidding!! I hope Jolene has a smooth delivery to healthy kids!!
Thank you- close contractions now, but she hasn’t started pushing. She paws the ground, lays down and lifts tail out like she’s gonna push hit then ends up standing up and hunching back. She may be having a hard time getting them into position. She feels loose/open but nothing is close yet. I’m going to give her more time to work on it on her own… 🙏🙏🙏
(I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but I select the pics, then hit add and nothing happens 🤷🏼‍♀️)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brown Wood Branch Organism Twig

Fawn Terrestrial animal Livestock Snout Tail
Wood Grass Working animal Plant Terrestrial animal

Vertebrate Wood Mammal Flash photography Grass

looks like pictures loaded for me ❤
I do feel bad I waited so long to go in and find out what was going on. She’s never needed help before (4F with quads last year)… but I knew things weren’t progressing as they should and finally convinced my dad (the Cowman) that we needed to intervene (he always saysI worry too much about the goats) and had him hold her so I could go in and feel things. Baby boy was breached and upside down. I finally got his rear legs pulled back and got him out and then little girl came out right away.
we had to shepherd sling the boy and vigorously rub him but he’s breathing and even cried out for mama. Little girl has nursed a couple times… hearing the baby’s bleats made Jolene decide there’s something to live for and she perked up a little bit. We gave her 3cc’s penicillin… so do we need to re dose her the next weeks? I think that’s what I saw… I’ll give her vitamin c and also see if she’ll take some crushed garlic if I cover it with yogurt. I can bring her a bowl of flat beer if you think she might want that… please let me know. First time I’ve had any trouble at kidding time so this is new.
I’ll make sure to watch for her cleaning out too- I’m a little surprised only 2 kids but I didn’t feel anymore. I didn’t go clear up to my elbow either, I think I just got distracted feeling her left side of things and then didn’t want to hurt her.

·
Premium Member
8,010 Posts
You do penicillin for 3 to 5 days depending on which brand you are useing. It should be listed in the 2020 Medicine Cabinet. Look up which one you have started. Benemin for pain, and to help to release the afterbirth. Calcium drench and Vit B are always good to give after a difficult birth. Watch her and make sure there is not a foul odor for the next few days.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You do penicillin for 3 to 5 days depending on which brand you are useing. It should be listed in the 2020 Medicine Cabinet. Look up which one you have started. Benemin for pain, and to help to release the afterbirth. Calcium drench and Vit B are always good to give after a difficult birth. Watch her and make sure there is not a foul odor for the next few days.
Thank you… she did have a 3rd little doeling come out, she was very small (1/2 size of the first 2 and only 2 teeth, so I think she would have been stillborn anyway 💔) and then I had to bring the baby boy up to the house to warm him up cus he was laying there very cold and mama was having a 4th baby, the sack was intact so I thought she’d be fine. When I came back down yo get some colostrum for the boy, she had a single hoof out, sack broken. I couldn’t find the other hoof or head so I had to push the hoof back in and re enter her, got the head positioned and she came on out, but I was unable to revive her. She was a good healthy size like the first two… I feel like if I’d been down there I could have saved her but I was trying to save the buckling… he seems to be doing better now and he did get some colostrum. Hopefully mama takes him back in the morning ok 🍀
Hair Smile Comfort Textile Dog

1 - 20 of 173 Posts