Saint got out and ate 5 gallons of grain! He isnt feeling well!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Yesterday morning, Saint was out, and in the barn where i have some food for some other goats in there right now. It is a 5 gallon bucket, and he ate ALL of it, plus a little bit of chicken food. He has been yawning a lot, and real lethargic. I have a vet appointment for him at 10:00 in the morning,and have been giving probios, b complex, hay, and water, but I dont know what else to do!
    He has gotten
    2 doses of b complex
    LOTS of probios
    Lots of water, plus whatever he is getting up and drinking himself
    He is scouring a bit, but it isnt as bad a yesterday.
    Yesterday afternoon, his temp was 103.7, so I was not worried, cause normal temp is 101.5 to 103.5
    He has had his CDT vaccine, and i can hear is rumen, but i havent seen a whole lot of cud chewing. Also not really wanting to eat. Just a nibble of hay every now and then...

Any reccomendations??? Please help!!! I feel really bad for him

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Cd antitoxin might also help. He is most likely very very full is why the no eating. Scouring from overeating too. You are doing great!

Tsc has a great bucket! You have to spin the lid to clamp and then it has clamps on the outside. I keep my turk food in 5heir stall and goats have unclamped one top clamp never both and have never gotten the lid off. They are not horrible expensive.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Can I get that at Tractor supply do you think?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Call them. And make sure they are looking for the right thing. Ours does not carry it most of the time. I had order mine from valley vet.

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Is it just the vaccine, or is it a different thing?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Nope. Not the vaccine. Cd antitoxin... it helps to kinda purge the toxins out of their system quickly.

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
  8. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Thank you so much! I will call around!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    He has an appt. for 10:00 in the morning. Everyone is closed right now...

I went out there and he was standing on his see-saw, and i drenched him 150 cc of water, 60 cc of pedialyte, he got his 3rd dose of b complex, and 60 cc of water/probiotic powder, 5 cc probios paste, and 30 cc molasses water.
    I walked him around and rubbed his belly, but he isnt really bloated.

He ate hay after a drenched him with everything, and he ate about 1/4 of a flake of grass hay

I offered him grain to see what he does, and he literally gagged! I guess he learned his lesson!
    His poops are like a thick pudding consistancy, and I can find multiple poops in his pen... They do not stick to him or run like scours, so i guess that is good! I saw him pee once, but i have been gone all day looking for the anti toxin, and NOBODY has it. Grrr...
    Thank yall for all of the help! I guess we will see what he says in the morning!

FoxRidge and Sfgwife like this.
  11. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh I wish you were closer I have a bottle in my fridge...
    I really hope saint feels better. Poor guy.
    Keep us posted.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I know. I really do feel bad for him, and all of the vets that I actually trust to see my goats, are really busy, because, well, they are great vets! My very favorite one, Audra, actually has a vet tech that raises nigerians, and i take the goats to her every time, but the actual vet is out of town for spring break, so I am going with my other favorite vet, Dan. I choose Audra as my fav. because she is closer than Dr.Dan. I have been going to Dan for 17 years, and he has never let me down! I will say, he doesnt know as much about goats as Audra, but he is willing to learn, and has been a vet for 40 years, and has had his fare share of goats come in lol!

I will definitley keep yall posted. Other what I am doing, I dont know what to do!

GoofyGoat likes this.
  13. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I bought my CD antitoxin from Jeffers as well as 3 vials of tetanus antitoxin...
    It always seems like it's in short supply around here. I've looked for it and local dealers say they're having a hard time getting it in....so I figured I better stock up just in case.

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    They had the tetanus anti toxin, but not cd antitoxin... Weird

GoofyGoat likes this.
  15. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

That is normal around here. I just buy a bottle of the antitoxin online and when it expires i put a new one in the fridge. Cause it is just one of those things that you may never need but when you do you need it now right now and noone local carries it. :(

It os good that he is up and moving a d having hay though.

16. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Hows your goat?. Milk if magnesium can help especially if no cd antitoxin. 15 cc per 60 pounds
    Activated Charcoal may help. Let the scours come for a bit ..help clean things out. Give hay and browse food only..no grain of any kind. Keep him active.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  17. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    How did the vet visit go?

18. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    He gave him some charcoal, a booster of cdt, exceed, which is for his liver, like an anti inflammatory. He said he is in way better condition than he thought he was gonna be in, so he didn’t start him in any anti biotics, like he planned on doing.hw said to keep up with what I’m doing. I asked him abt the cd antitoxin and he is out too!! He is getting a shipment In Today but golly!!

19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Got any herbs? Can’t remember if you’re on of those that keeps herb mixes on hand.

20. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Exceed is an antibiotic..??

I would still give him milk of magnesia.
    Herb wise..GI back on track from LOH is great for overeating..or tumny tameryou can blend up yourself..1 teaspoon each
    Cayenne pepper
    Ginger
    Cinnamon
    Slippery elm
    Molasses and
    Acv in enough water to drench