Sales

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by drafthorsechick, Feb 5, 2008.

1. drafthorsechick

drafthorsechick New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Iowa
    Okay, this could be an act of desperation, but has anyone ever bought a goat/goats from a sale barn?

The local sheep and goat sale is every Wednesday in Kalona, Iowa, and would there be any chance of finding anything decent there?

What are the thoughts, pro and con, on auctions? I know I'd have to quarentine, that goes without saying.

I figure that if I'm going to look at the Alpine doe at the Amish dairy, I'd only be about 10 miles from the sale anyway. This does, of course, hinge upon us getting a snow day so I don't have to go to work tomorrow. Notice that if the school district thinks the weather is too bad to hold school, that I'm still perfectly willing to go out and look for goats! LOL

Of course if they cancel school, I just hope they don't cancel the sale.

Therese

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have before, I bought two, and one has turned out to be decent the other one went back. Honestly I don't ever plan to do it again, in my mind there is just too much risk, you have no idea where the goat comes from, what health issue's she may have or be exposed to. BUT, if you do plan to quarantine, then sometimes it will turn out okay. This is just my view for my herd.

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I wouldn't go to the sale barn. Most people send their culls there or their sick goats. Some people just send them there to get rid of their goats in a hurry. Some are okay, but I wouldn't do it...unless it's a breeding stock auction.

4. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    what will the purpouse for your goats be? what is your goal?

i even would hesitate to go to breeding auction.
    too many breeders have contagious diseases in the herd without discloser. i worked to hard to have a healthy herd and would not take the risk an auction brings.
    much better place to shop for animals is from reputable breeder. their cull could be a big improvement for others.
    look for quality, not quantity. start slow.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I look at the auction as a place that the goats are there for a reason. They are there for a quick sale because the owner doesn;t want to bother. I have heard of people going to the auction for their first goats and they they artart getting serious about breedings, they turn up with cae and cl animals. Thats the thing that scares me the most is bringing home something with a disease. Im not saying all auction animals have cae or cl but in this case they most likely arn't tested. They are someone elses culls. they are there for a reason. At least with the auctions around here. Most are dirty and un sanitary and the animals there don't look good. I have taken little whethers to the auctions here. I usually drop off the most healthy looking goats there. But i don't want to pay to feed a whether that is just going to be eaten anyways. Im looking for a quick sale.
    beth

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I have to look at the goat first but I have not had a problem with the sales.Our sales are full of healthy looking animals.There is the occasional sickling but that is everywhere.

7. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I've sent some goats through the sale-but they were healthy-I just didn't have anyone around who wanted them and I certainly didn't need them. My folks tound two Togg does through the sale once that were acctually pretty nice looking. I think it is the buyer's responsiblility to check out the animals before buying them. We can walk through and see all the animals at the sale yard near here-before buying anything. It is also nice to look around and see if the sale is worth staying around for.

8. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    unfortunately you don't see always if they have cae, cl, johne's mycoplasma, only to name a few diseases. you also don't see if they are in a pen where an cl abscess had ruptured the week before.
    but people hear what they want to hear and have to make their own experience i guess. if they are lucky, it might go well, but in my opinion, way too risky.

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Yeah, that is true-but you can keep those goats in isolation until you can get them tested. It's really in the fact that anymore people aren't willing to take that risk because of so many diseases that are out there now.

10. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Don't forget to wash your shoes after the sale barn, before your barn. As recommended by vets and breeders. Me, I never go to animal auctions, but do wash my shoes after going to anyone's farm. Good breeders will have you dip or spray your shoes with bleach or another disinfectant when you arrive at their farm.

11. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    jBlaze that was a good point to make. I've also heard of folks having separate shoes for home and other shoes they only where to sale barns and other homes.

12. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Your setup has alot to do with it. If you can't keep them quarantined from your other goats, forget it. If you can, like we did when we got some, it's doable. We first got 25 feeders (keep them a few months, then sell them back and make some money). Out of the 25 supposed to be boys, were 9 girls. We sold most and kept the 4 best. We still have 2, one being one of our best moms. Another time, we were waiting to buy feeders and 10 does from the same owner, clean as a whistle came through. We had to get them. Again, kept them quarantined, they have done great. It's was chancy and I'm not always up for it. We bred these girls to our kiko buck to see how he would do and they did pretty good. Since we are selling down, they will be the first to go because they are traditional. We are still keeping 2 though as long as the kids are good this go round. They are built too good to let go.

If you do bring home something and find out it has disease, get rid of it and get your place cleaned up. This is the reason for long quarantine periods. 4 weeks is optimal to see if anything appears.

I wouldn't do it again, because we only have one barn here. We had 2 at our other place.