Sales

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sunrise, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    I was looking at some websites and It seems that everyone is sold out of all their goats. They have a few kids but most are spoken for. So my question is out of the goats you have for sale how many do you sell in one year? Ex. you have 10 for sale and you sell about 5 a year. Hope that made since! Thank you!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I sell all my kids each year. Haven't had an issue yet to date with selling the kids before breeding starts again.

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Sales tend to come in waves. Sometimes I'll have a few new kids born and they'll be sold before they hit the ground and then sometimes I'll have does kid out and the kids grow a couple weeks and then finally they'll start to sell. And then of course there's some who are 8 weeks ready to leave and still here. Normally wethers. So it totally depends.

I keep a couple doelings and maybe a buck or two each year but I don't keep wethers. I don't have problems selling though, they all sell eventually. Does and bucks tend to sell faster.

4. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i usually have no trouble selling my goats. alot depends on where you are located & what people are looking for. after the TN state fair i sold 5 of my goats which was 1 milker 2 dry yearlings & 2 of last years kids. i am trying to sell some boer goats now but have not had much luck with them. have babies & adults

5. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I think it also depends on how much your herd name gets advertised to. My folks have finally gotten their herd to where they want it to be so now they are really having good luck at selling kids. You can also sell does to dairy's if you search around for some who are willing to travel to pick up goats. Most of the time we hold the doe kids over for utnil their first freshening to tell how well they have freshened.

6. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Ok thanks. THat gives me a better idea of the selling thing.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have dairy goats and we haven't sold many kids from them yet, but our boers sell really easily around here. We've found the newspaper is the best advertiser.

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have 4 goats for sale and havent sold a single one.

9. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Do $75 kids sell faster then one for $100's. Reson being there are some it the paper today for $75 and some for $250. Is it better to have a big price range like $75 to $1,000 and verything in between? So you have something for sale in a price range everyone can pay. Also I was thinking for the first year asking $100 for market and 4-H weathers. Is this to high or to low?

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    That price sounds good to me...I sell mine for $50...flat rate for wethers. Price of each individual goat varies with disposition, conformation, eye color, pedigree, breed...and so on.

11. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I am having trouble selling my kids. I have sold a few here and there but nothing major. I have 2 that are over a year old that I were born here. Still no luck selling them. I also don't sell fo rmeat so that cuts some of my market out.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I had 7 born so far this year and the break down is show below for how I sold them

Jan 21 2008 (Nigerian)
    -doeling retained
    -buckling was sold before birth as a bottle baby
    mom sold - leaving on Sunday

March 6 2008 (Pygmy/Nigerian)
    -buckling sold as wether within 48 hours will leave upon weening

March 13 2008
    -buckling sold as wether 72 hours after birth will leave with mom after brother is weened
    -buckling sold 48 hours after birth will leave after weening
    -doeling sold as bottle baby 24 hours after birth

March 14 2008
    -doeling sold with mom and they left 8 days after birth

I have a pygmy due in July and 2 registered Nigerians due in August - and have a waiting list for the babies!

13. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    kelebek~ Thanks that was a big help!

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    you are quite welcome!!

Good luck.

Also, I advertise on craigslist under farm/garden.

I have people from up to 3 hours drive away that are buying unregistered goats from me and then drive to me to pick them up! I am not sure if this is all just a coincidence because goats are becoming big in this area, or what the deal is - but I surely am not complainin

15. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    This is all about supply and demand . I read that the price as well as the supply of goats is in direct relation to your proximity to Texas, the largest goat producer in the USA.

In certain parts of the country an unregistered pygmy can go for $35, in these parts $100-$150. I live downstate NY, goats are hard to find unless you're upstate NY, that's a 5-7 hour drive for me. Even NJ and PA can be tricky depending on where the farm is located. When you factor in the small supply, the large demand, and the waiting lists....

The shortest distance I've had to drive to get my goats? 2 hours, and that's because a friend bought them from upstate as a favor. I've been as far as Delaware and Maryland. Just recently I was considering going to Mass. for a Nigi buckling but the owner decided to retain.

16. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Where does everyone advertise?

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have posted on craigslist in the areas around me. I also advertise on a local horse forum and a local goat exchange forum.

It has seemed to be that my name is starting to get around, as I have helped others in finding exactly what they are looking for if I don't have it, I also answer questions to "newbies" and let them come to the ranch to see the setup and care of goats with NO commitment to purchase from me. I make that very clear that I am not a pushy person and am willing to give any information that I may have..... it has worked very nicely~

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I just had a lady email this morning, and she wants to buy ALL :leap: the goats that I have for sale. Older ones and babies. :stars: They are wanting to get into the fiber world.

Most of my buyers come to me by word of mouth. We have done really well over the last few years at shows, and we hold the Grand Champion doe from the Colorado State fair and she has gotten that title several times. For the Fiber world, you have to breed to get great fiber or having the fiber is really worthless.
    I also advertise in a Magazine called Wild Fibers. A lot of people come to me from that.

19. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
  20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I think a lot of it also depends on the quality of the animal and who you are marketing to. I market for show, other market for meat pets brush eaters and whatnot. Having a website has really upped my sales. One lady found my website and bought four goats from me. i sold one goat on craigslist but other then that havnt had much luck.
    I also talked to a guy the other sday he was looking for chickens that were done laying and excewss roosters. he rehabilitates raptors. I asked him if he would be interested in buck kids. he said he would take them at a few days old, and give me ten dollars a piece. now i wont sell him all mu buck kids, but ones not good enough to be bucks and that people dont have a deposit on. its a sad existance but id rather see them have a purpose then go to waste. I have seen people advertise cute little whethers and then inexperienced people buy them and have no clue what they are doing and the goat ends up suffering. I have also seen people who put them in a bucket of water at only a few minutes old.
    ok i got a little off topic, but for those of you with full sized dairy goats it can be hard to get rid of all those extra buck kids.
    beth