The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe that has had goopy eyes for abt 2 weeks. I flushed them with colloidal silver. I think she got it from the alfalfa because it has so many little leaves, she may have allergies from it. Anyways, can I flush her eyes out with saline solution? Or would that sting? I can also get some vetricin eye spray. Is there an antibiotic I can squirt in her eye?
Thanks
Nigerian dwarf goat

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,514 Posts
I use Veterycin spray or eye wash. I also like Terramycin ointment when we get goopy eyes. Garlic regimen as well as herbs is what I do. If it's not green or white it's most likely irritation and allergy, you could give Benadryl too.

Colloidal silver is great, good idea on that one - but is mostly going to help with pinkeye, not irritation.

I would recommend the Veterycin eye wash.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...cc-CKohQbPZvV4ATFzJLakRMKz-94C-gaAkRTEALw_wcB

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still cant find my Vetricin spray, so maybe it actually did just grow legs and walk off! Last I saw of it was in May when my goat kidded, and I was looking for my selenium gel. I also have Terramycin around here somewhere from a previous pinkeye case. That might actually be gone though, i used all of it. It is clear goop, so i know it is just an allergy. Right now dust is really high, so it is either that or the alfalfa. I know I've been sneezing from all the dust!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,514 Posts
I still cant find my Vetricin spray, so maybe it actually did just grow legs and walk off! I also have Terramycin around here somewhere from a previous pinkeye case. That might actually be gone though, i used all of it. It is clear goop, so i know it is just an allergy. Right now dust is really high, so it is either that or the alfalfa. I know I've been sneezing from all the dust!
Most pet eye washes will work. I've used dog and cat ones.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most pet eye washes will work. I've used dog and cat ones.
Well the problem is that I know I have it around here somewhere! I don't wanna go and buy more, then find the bottle I have been looking for 10 mins after I get home! :imok::crazy:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Well the problem is that I know I have it around here somewhere! I don't wanna go and buy more, then find the bottle I have been looking for 10 mins after I get home! :imok::crazy:
That is the way I would do it, then both would disappear.lol

Reactions: Nigerian dwarf goat

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Yes, you could use contact solution for her eyes, it doesn't sting. Just come in at an angle so you don't scratch her cornea if there's dust or alfalfa flakes in there. My boy Hagrid is fighting with dust and such too, and it's cleaned them right up when I've rinsed them... until later when the wind kicks back up and it starts again. I tried benedryl, but in all honesty Texas is too dry and dusty right now and I hate medicating if it's not going to really help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts