The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved three related does, Ruthie (2011) and her daughters Roma (2015) and Pepper Potts (2017) into their kidding jugs a few hours ago. Pepper Potts is 150 days today and in labor now, but not pushing hard yet. Lots of pawing and biting her sides, 6-7" string of goo.

These will be the first kids out of our new black headed Fullblood Boer buck Miller so looking forward to see what he produces.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gosh it's hard to not interfere! She has been pushing for 13 minutes poor first time girl is confused and working hard, she jumps up after every contraction to check for a kid on the ground behind her. Two front feet appear to be presenting correctly, I just want to get in there and pull for her! Waiting a bit longer

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A single buckling - a bit thin for my satisfaction but he is lively, nursed great, and resting in his heated hut now. 6 lbs 10 oz. I did end up assisting just a bit by pulling to help pass the head while she pushed, it was just taking a bit too long after the amniotic sac broke for my comfort!

This line of does usually has wonderful maternal instincts however I did have to put a hand on Pepper's chest a few times to make her stand still for nursing - she was doing the first freshener jumpy back legs thing. She has the hang of it now.

My dad and I made these combo kid huts & "hay racks" for the kidding jugs this week, I use hard heated kennel panels for kids. Lows in the single digits tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yay! A huge congrats saltey! I hope you have a wonderful kidding season. How many does in all do you have to kid out?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Congratulations! Looks good!
Can we get a look at full facial? I think the two color mask is awsome.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ruthie just had a single 8lb 5oz buckling, handsome head and lovely long cape.

I did a quick search because her colostrum is quite pink in one half of the udder - all said this is caused by broken capillaries and perfectly okay as long as no heat and hardness and pain (there is not). Safe for buckling right? He preferred that side before I even had the chance to intervene.

Vertebrate Mammal Working animal Fawn Goat Tableware Drinkware Ice cube Natural material Drink

And a photo of one day old Pepper Potts buckling when it was 9*F this morning!

Plant Ear Livestock Terrestrial animal Snout

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I agree with Ruthie's buckling being handsome.

My mistake on Pepper Pot's buckling's mask, I thought it was black on one side and brown on the other. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roma delivered triplet doelings early this morning (I missed it despite my over night checks!) - one got chilled & lethargic (rectal 92*F) but after a couple hot water soaks & some warming time in the house she is reunited and seems great. I will add photos later - they are black & dark red so very difficult to photograph!

Roma is fairly/somewhat aggressive towards me when trying to help the kids so that made for a tricky morning. I'm gathering all my patience, thank goodness my mother is visiting & taking care of my human toddler since my husband is away.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts