Salutations from the Big Mitten!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by WarPony, Jan 31, 2010.

1. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Hello all!

I found your little place here when it was mentioned in passing on a horse forum I go to regularly. I thought it might be a good place to lurk about and maybe learn a few things.

I've always loved goats, since I was a teen and my best friend's mother had them. Then many years ago I had a sweet as sugar little Pygmy named Sarahgoatkin who stole my heart. Unfortunately I lost her due to my ex husband's lack of care while I was hospitalized. That would be part of why he is my EX husband.

At any rate, short introduction: I am happily married to a man who is much more responsible than the last one, and who loves animals. I have a teen daughter who wears silly clothes and has improbably coloured hair and wears her makeup like an Egyptian Princess. I have two miniature horses, a hairy Gypsy horse, a bald dog and a wide assortment of other critters. I knit, do some (poor) spinning on a drop spindle, I grow and make crafts using gourds, my husband and I are members of a blackpowder club and we go to their rendezvous every year... I love to read and play video games, I have a weird sense of humour, and I am thinking about getting goats.

So, since I tend to research everything into the ground before I actually get in to it I thought this might be a good place to visit. I researched my hairless dog for a decade before I got him, I don't plan to spend quite that long before I get a goat or four.

I'm hoping to find some goats that will be kind of multipurpose family goats, meat, a small bit of milk, and maybe pulling a cart/packing. I figure the weather is too cold to have much fun playing with the ponies so I might as well learn about goats and decide if this is really something I am up for before I jump in with both feet.

Now that I have "talked your ears off" (typed your eyes off ??? That doesn't sound right at all, hehe) I will go lurk about for a while, get a feel for the place, and hopefully eventually join in. *smiles and waves*

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome

the moderators and I are working on a reference for the kinds of goats out there, their uses and needs etc so people can decide what breed is right for them. I hope to have this available soon.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hello,
    glad your here, seems you'll have lots of stories to tell!
    try boers, gentle, small bit of milk, big bit of meat, and could probably pack too ;)

Katrina

do you have any pics of your..hairless dog? I've never seen one.

4. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    That would be awesome! I'll be looking forward to it!

They look like the workhorses of goat breeds from what little I have seen... hehe.

My friend's mom had dairy goats and a hairy male that she said was an angora mix. As much as I would like to have the option of fiber for spinning from what I have read so far the fiber goats don't do so well for meat. Not sure if that is true. Like I said I am still learning.

As far as pictures of my hairless dog... Nigel is my bestest buddy in the whole wide world. Of course I have pictures of him, hehehe. I thinkhe is just gorgeous but don't worry, I fully understand that no one else in the world shares that opinion.

Nigel chillin' with his buddy Kona the cat:

[​IMG]

In the summer, when he goes naked... This is what he looks without any of his stray fuzz being clipped... I normally keep the whiskers on his face and the afro on his bum clipped down but I'd been lazy for about 4 months:

[​IMG]

Saying his prayers:

[​IMG]

And with his late buddy, Mylo (RIP, Mylo had skin allergies and was just being diagnosed at this point so he was still kind of itchy):

[​IMG]

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!! Not a fan of hairless dogs, lol...but those guys are kinda cute! lol

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!!! It's so wonderful to see that reaearch is being done before the goaties arrive! Great job!
    You will find a mess load of info in the posts...and if you have any questions, please ask theres always a willing answer.

Chinese Crested? I've seen them on TV and I do think they are cute but my goodness, I'd be so fearful of sunburn.

7. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    They, um, have their own unique charm, hehe. Most people who see pictures of him or first meet him kind of make a grossed out face, but by the time they spend an hour with him he has totally won them over.

After being involved in rescue for several years (I have had to take some time away from it because of a serious case of rescuer burn out and a deep need tp focus on my own critters) I have become almost obsessive about researching before I take on the responsibility for another living creature. I'm sure I will either ask a lot of questions or find a lot just by reading the questions others have asked. I've already learned a good deal just reading through old posts.

I'm super careful to keep him out of the sun. He has his own zinc-free sun screen for when he has to be outside for more than 20 minutes or so (happens really rarely... only when he goes to the 4th of July parade with us or at rendezvous week). He does get a tan in the summer though. In the winter he is a pale slate with a pink undertone, in the summer he is a rich dark slate except on his belly that stays pale. He doesn't tan from being outside, he tans from napping in the sun coming in the window while he curls up on the back of the couch, lol. He has really good skin, too. The other one we had was a retired show dog and he had all kinds of skin issues but was just a really sweet happy boy so he was worth the effort... but aside from sun screen twice a year and a pair of jammies in winter Nigel doesn't really take any more effort than any other small dog, and a lot less than our big hairy mutt. And the best thing is.... no shedding!!!

The cats, other dog, and ponies more than make up for his lack of shedding, though. :)

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    hello Warpony & welcome from Washington state! Your title "Salutations from the Big Mitten" certainly is catchy!
    I prefer big dogs but your Nigel IS kinda cute!!
    Boers sure do look like workhorses but my little herd is a lazy bunch of whales. The only time they move is when they see me coming with hay. Or a collar or a syringe. I can hide them in my pocket but they know somethings up.
    Even a clipboard is suspect cause they know its vac & hoof trimming time.
    Other than that they're pretty mellow for goats.
    They love their skritches. One old gal demands shoulder & butt massages. Thats all Im good for around here. Food & skritches.

9. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    That sounds right up my alley, I like my dogs and horses to be lazy whales, so why not my goats? hehe! Critters that love scritches are high on my list. I don't want anything that is going to be aloof. I spend a lot of time just hanging out with my animals and even though I plan to use some of my goats as meat animals there will be some that are pets.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome from Northern California... :welcome: ....happy you are here....I love your dogs... :thumbup: :greengrin:

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Welcome from Oklahoma! I love LOVE the horse in your avatar! Gypsy Vanner right? And your dog is adorable, I like hairless dogs and cats, but prefer mine with hair. lol

Boers are a good breed, or Nubians. *wink wink* lol

12. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    That horsie is my boy, Brego. He actually came from Oklahoma. :) He is the same thing as a Vanner, just not registered with their specific registry (they have a copyright or trademark on the name "Vanner"... it's complicated, heh), though he could be if I wanted to spend the money.... but i would rather spend that money to buy some goats, hehe.

He is my dream horse. He is all loves and cuddles and hair. *sighs dreamily*

he grows an impressive beard too. I call it his billygoat beard, lol!

[​IMG]

He also has a nice curly mustache right now. But it is hard to get a good picture of that does it justice. What my dog lacks in hair my horse more than makes up for.

He is a goofy little stinker.

[​IMG]

I have family in OK, they live right on lake Tenkiller, just across from Tahlequa. I LOVE that area. Went down a couple of years ago and fell in love with everything but the ticks and chiggers. It's one of the few places aside from Michigan that I can ever see myself living.

13. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Now why'd you have to go and post MORE pics of him!? He's absolutely stunning! I want a Gypsy so bad. lol I just have a little mix breed girl (who I love dearly! She was a rescue) but she's not quite broke yet. You should let me know the next time you come to OK. I live just 20 minutes north of OKC.

14. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I don't go down very often, but I have a long list of people I need to say howdy to if i do go. :)

This is the lady I bought Brego from, she lives in Hominy (I think): http://www.chinkapinranch.com/

I'm working on training Brego right now. Or at least i was before the weather got so yucky. Lots of ground work to start... I've been on him 6 or 7 times, fell off twice through my own fault, not his. Luckily he is a short little peapod so the fall isn't too far. I don't bounce like I used to... lol. But mostly I have been ground driving him.

15. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Welcome - that is a GORGEOUS colored cob that you have there!!!!! I am from the UK and grew up seeing these gorgeous horses all over. :)

On the goat front. I have a nubian cross and a nigi / pygmy cross. The nubian is as loud as all get out and a general pain up the arse - and the other is a little doll - we love her.

Mine are in with my horse - and he loves the little one and she loves him.

Nice to "meet" you - this is a good place to come - they give GREAT advise here. :)

16. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    :wave: Welcome to TGS! Thank you for sharing all the pics-as you can tell, we love pics. WOW on the horse!

17. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    "Coloured cob" is what I generally call him and folks here are like "Huh?" hehe. Thanks for the compliment on him. He is a real sweety. I'd have had one years ago but I live in the real world where I can't afford to pay as much for a horse as I did for my house. lol. Thankfully prices are getting to be much more affordable on them here now that there are more of them on the ground. I know the folks who were getting ungodly sums for them here are missing the days when they were selling so high but they are such mellow pleasant horses i think it is great that the prices are dropping so more folks can afford them.

I tried having my late Pygmy in with the horses I had at the time (two "real" shetlands and a mini) but I ran in to a few issues: she ate their tail hair off, had zero respect for my electric fence and my mini horse just detested her and would chase her without mercy at least once a day. So my plan for now is to have a separate area for the goats.

My cob was imported in utero from the UK, and my mini mare is only 1 generation away from Shetland ponies imported from the UK. Trying to find a Shetland that isn't the "American Shetland" type here is almost impossible. Even though she is registered as a mini i was absolutely delighted to find my Mary mare. She is a little tank of a pony.

When i was training her to drive:
    [​IMG]

The two of them are absolutely smitten with each other:

[​IMG]

Thank you! I LOVE to share pictures of my critters.

I should probably slip in one of my other mini, Sparrow, so he doesn't feel left out. This was the first day he and Brego met, early this spring. brego was scared to death of him at first. I don't think he had ever seen a horse smaller than himself before:

[​IMG]

He cleans up nice in the summer once all his winter hair is gone. He and Brego do boy things together like play "bite your face" and "chase the girl around until she kicks at us and makes us leave her alone".

[​IMG]

18. Goannaman

Goannaman Guest

Jan 31, 2010
    Warpony,

This might be from left field a bit, but did you happen to play FFXI on the Durotan server? I seem to remember a person with that name (also from Michigan) that was in the same linkshell as me.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome to the Goat Spot. :wave: We are very happy to have you here with us.

20. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Warning to none gamers... skip this post, lol.

*start gamer nerd mode*
    I played for almost 5 years on Gilgamesh server. LOL. I never played on any other servers. I was an Elvaan female using this name, mostly played BST/WHM. I probably never would have stopped playing but as a mom and wife I just couldn't commit the time needed to a game that was so party intensive. LFG for 4 hours, get a party together and all get to the camp spot, spend 4 hours, 6 hours or 11 hours camping... what happens when the kid needs food or the dogs need to go out? That is not a game where you can go AFK at short notice 4 times an hour.

They had really nerfed BST at the time and vastly changed my main side hobby (fishing) in a way that sucked all the fun out of it for me. I was also .1 away from having my cooking maxed out and the only place to get the ingredients for what I needed to cook to get that last skill up was to leech off a higher level party and see if they would let me loot the item I needed since it bound to you on pick up.

So I switch to WOW for a the next 4 or 5 years and just went solo for virtually everything, lol. Then I got my horse and suddenly I had no interest in playing the MMOs. I am looking forward to the new FF MMO that is coming out, though. I signed up for the beta and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get in.

*end gamer nerd mode*