Sample Collection

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dragonfly farms, Apr 8, 2010.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I am trying to figure out how and what supplies I need to do collections for CL, CAE and Johnnes. I know the local lab can do two out of the three tests, so i guess i need to collect two samples from each goat.

What do I need to collect the samples?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    1 inch needles -- 6cc syringes -- red top vacutainer tubes

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I believe for CL you need whole blood or the exude from a cyst/lump.
    For CAE you can send whole blood
    For Johnes you can send whole blood or fecal sample.

Check to see which test your local lab uses for CAE as AGID is not real reliable, ELISA is much better and give you the titer count. Bio-Tracking is a much better choice for this one test.

You need to draw the blood with a needle and syringe and inject it into a red top vaccutainer(sp). You can use one of the butterfly needles if you have one and know how to use it but be forewarned they are tough on goats.

The fecal sample is better at indicating + or - in the Johnes test but it is more expensive. The Arkansas State lab charges $25 for this test alone and it takes several weeks. Just pull the top off the tube and place the sample inside, put the stopper top back on.

4. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Okay glad I asked to clarify! So I have needles and syringes so I just need to find out how much blood the lab needs for each test and get some red top containers. Doesnt sound too difficult!

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Most of the tests can be done with 3cc of blood.

6. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    From where do you collect blood? With the horses I take from the juggler in the neck..is it the same with goats?

7. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    Yes.

8. deJardine

deJardine New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
  9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they usually can do 3 tests with 6ccs of blood or less. They can do the CAE test with less then a CC btu they like to have 2 just in case they need to run it again. So its best to give them plenty.

I have some vacutainer tubes for sale (I now have 900!) so let me know if you want to purchase some. Im going to price it out before letting you know the price per I just dont know whats fair

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I use 20g needles, 3 cc syringes and a red top tube. I have only ever drawn 3 cc per animal and that was more than plenty for them to run the 3 tests on.

If your lab only runs 2 of the 3 tests, I would say - just send to a lab that can run all 3 at once for you. Much more convenient and once you pay for the extra tubes and shipping you won't save any money.