The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What product do you recommend to sanitize your milking equipment? I don't have a milking machine, so it would be for my glass milk jars and stainless steel bucket and filter. I think I need to change a few things with my current set up. Bonus points if you can also make a dilution of that product to use as a teat dip, and if it doesn't need to be rinsed off the dishes prior to putting milk into them.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I always milked straight into mason jars. I boiledmy jars, and the lids ( when using metal) heated in oven, but when using plastic lids I would dip in the boiling water. I always used betadine with 4x4 square wipes and nolvasan spray with clean 4x4 wipes. And always did some pre jar teat squirts for the cats before milking straight into the jars. As soon as one jar was full it went in my ice water bucket and started with the next jar. Went pretty smooth and never used a machine, just hand milked.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I am hand milking, so I'm just looking for a product other than bleach from the grocery store to sanitize my bucket and jars, and it would be great if I could use that same product as a teat dip. There are so many options out there, I thought I would ask to narrow down search

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To clarify my situation...I work out of a kitchen in my barn. In the winter, water often has to be hauled by hand, as everything freezes. Hence the need for a product that doesn't require a second rinse after I sanitize the milk stuff, as that requires me to haul that much extra water. It would also be great if I could use said sanitizer as a teat dip, as again, that makes fewer things to stay stocked up on and fewer bottles to haul back and forth during the freezing months.
I have been using bleach up to this point, but it's getting harder to buy the big bottles, and I use more of it (1/3 c to 1 gal. water) than I would have to use for a bottle of actual dairy sanitizer, which seem to usually have dilutions of 1 T or so to a gallon of water.
I would actually like to get set up to scald my milking equipment, but I'm not there yet.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
My milking station was on the covered concrete front porch at the old farm. I carried two spray bottles, bucket of ice water and clean jars and 4x4 wipes. One spray bottle betadine and one nolvasan. Sometimes if someone was really dirty I would have a bucket with betadine in place of the spray but that depended on the time of year and weather. Everyone is dry at new farm currently so I never reset up a new milking station yet. Maybe this spring after I get the younger doe bred.

Good luck!

·
8,495 Posts
I never saw this- To get any milk residue off your glass or Stainless Steel (never galvanized or aluminum) containers and buckets, get
acid wash from some Tractor supplies. After you wash, disinfect and rinse- use the acid wash to get rid of the milk fats that leave a film,
cause bacteria growth and can cause off tasting milk. It is an acid, so don't get it on your bare skin.

If you have to carry water out to your barn- TSC carries a heating wand- Plug it in, put in a 5 gal. bucket of water and in about 15 min. you have super hot water! (almost
boiling).

Regarding your freezing hydrant- do you take the hose off (or disconnect from plumbing) after you use it? That should help with the freezing problem, as
the water drops back down into the ground and drains out of the pipe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts