Sanitizing Pasture Area

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goatmama2, Jan 2, 2011.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    We recently had a buck confirmed with CL. We have completely sanitized our barn, but will eventually need to make sure the pasture/paddock area is safe. It is not terribly large. We were thinking of digging out all of the old hay and manure with a bobcat, and maybe burning the remaining grass, but is there anything we can put down to kill bacteria? Maybe lime, or is there something better that won't hurt the goats that will eventually be using the paddock?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'd torch the area VERY well. burn all of the grass, bedding and bleach whatever he touched. you can put lime down afterwards

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry you are going through this, poor you and poor buck :( I hope your able to get rid of it so it doesn't affect anyone else.

4. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Yes, it was awful...we had to have all 3 of our goats put down. It was a terrible holiday. The good news is that the weather, being unseasonably warm, allowed us to thoroughly get at least the barn completely cleaned without fear of freezing. We already have found someone who is selling us 2 does and a buckling, so we will soon be back to milking and getting goatie kisses. My husband is planning on torching everything outside, but I am concerned that the bacteria could be down below the surface, so we will probably turn the soil several times and lime it. This disease is so pervasive, and has a long life...at least 5 months. This really stinks!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry ..... not fun.... :( :hug:

6. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    You're not kidding! But I was just in the barn and it's now dry and looks clean enough for a goat to eat off the floors... :wink: