Sarah - day 130 - will she last long enough?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by MissMM, Mar 23, 2009.

1. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Hello from another newbie to goat momma-dom (the goats and me). Sarah (the goat in the middle) is on day 130 (I'm positive of the date..... watched her get bred & removed her from the buck pen after). Her ligs are very soft but not gone entirely, her udder filling considerably and her tail is doing that straight out thing. Do you think she'll make it? From what I understand she's gotta make it at least another 10 days but she looks so uncomfortable I don't know if she will......... no discharge, no obvious signs of contractions, but she sleeps standing up propped against the wall and isn't interested in grain (there's a first) but I have seen her eat fresh hay and drink. Your thoughts please?

Ophelia and Dolly (to Sarah's left and right) are due 5 days later.

Attached Files:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    AAWWWW, I just love that last picture. You can sure tell they love each other also.

I have to say you would be amazed at how long they can go from when you think that they will just blow right open. I say she will be fine, but I do not think she will make it to her due date if that is day 150.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    so cute......... :wink: :greengrin: :love:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she will hold on. But maybe closer to 145 then 150

5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thanks for the reassurance. Her ligs aren't as squishy tonight & they all had much more energy this evening. :shrug:

I've got the girls in the "maternity pen." Athena, our LGD, can see them from the general pen, but not reach them. That has her a bit upset. After her evening feeding, she wanted to go in the pen with the girls instead, but Norbert would scream his bloody head off all night if he didn't have his pal.

6. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Re: Sarah - kidded at day 138!

Sarah had one buckling yesterday at about 11:30am. She's excellent at keeping him clean, but she isn't standing very well for him to nurse. About the time he latches on, she walks off :hair: Any suggestions? So far, we've been making her stand still for him to nurse every couple of hours. that's gonna get old quick.

Attached Files:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congrats on the kid!!! What day did she end up kidding on (140?)

I would keep holding her till he is strong enough to get the latching on quickly and she realizes she needs to stand for him. I take it she is a FF so it may take her a day or so to get the idea. Is she in a kidding stall or with the other goats?

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    congrats on the little boy! - or should I say BIG boy???

Good job on holding her so that he can nurse, that will be important until she gets the idea. FFs are sometimes like that - I'm assuming she's an FF?

LW

9. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    yes she is a first freshener - kidded on day 139. She is in the maternity pen with her sister - Dolly - who is due to kid on 4/19 (that's day 150 anyway). She loves to keep him clean, but she's not understanding the 'stand still' to let the little bugger eat. She nudges him back to the teat, then promptly walks ahead a few steps after he latches on.

He's a pretty big guy - legs that go from here to the next county. he's identified us with feeding time so as soon as we walk in the pen and hold momma, he's right there to munch.

I knew the babies would be cute...... but he's just adorable :love:

And I got called into jury duty tomorrow so will miss a whole day of playing with him :angry:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW if he is that big on day 139, I would guess that somehow the date was wrong. Have you weighted him? He is big and cure.

I would hold her like you said, she will get the hand of it. She might be sore and engorged and it hurts, so give her a little time to gut use to it. She looks like a wonderful mom.
    Congratulations

11. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    He is big, but unless my math sucks worse than I thought, it's day 139. I watched her get bred on 11/14/08 - took her in, saw StinkyButt do his thing 3 times, then took her back to the doe/general pen. She only had that one exposure. My fan-dancy scale broke after being left in the barn all winter.... trying to round something up cause I can't guess weight for ****. He is tall enough to where if he wants to "look up" to nurse, he has to lay down.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes ...I agree with the others.....make sure ... she doesn't have anyone else in the pen.... just her and baby......she is a new momma and doesn't know ....what she is suppose to do quite yet...but she will soon.. they need that bonding time.... :wink: .........seeing him as a single ...please teach him to eat from ...both sides...you may want to also milk some out of the side... that gets ignored ..keep an eye on it.....you don't want a blown out teat....or mastitis..... :wink:

He is sure big......and such a cutie......... :greengrin:

would make the due date around april 12, 2009 wow..... :scratch:

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Amazing that a "preemie" could be so HEALTHY!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am gong to second keeping her milked out -- she is probably sore and when he latches on her first reaction is to move away but she knows he needs to eat so is trying to encourage him.

I would milk her out till the pressure is released adn then see how she does

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is mom and baby doing? Is mom letting that baby nurse now?

16. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    :cool: So cute Congrats!

17. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    He's doing very well, thank you for your suggestions. I beginning to think momma is only pulling away when I'm around cause his belly is pretty full and he's certainly got plenty of energy. Hence the name Tigger cause he bounces all over the place! It's just a blast to mess with him.

"Auntie Dolly" is in with them still in the "maternity pen" - whenever I've tried to separate the two (Sarah and Dolly) Dolly gets just plain distraught to the point of hyperventilating (I didn't even know goats could do that!). She is very, very sweet with the baby & is nearly as attentive as Sarah.

I am going to split some cattle panels today to make individual stalls so Dolly and Ophelia have their own spot when it's their turn around 4/19. That way they can see and smell each other, but that's it. It's a 12x20 pen so it's plenty big enough. That project was on the DH's "honey do" list & he didn't get to it before Sarah kidded early. I guess I get to drag out the duct tape & zip ties & do it myself :angry:

18. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    forgot the current pics..... he is a very big boy for only being 3 days old (pic taken yesterday).

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      66.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      73.5 KB
      Views:
  19. toth boer goats