Savanna Goats

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by EandEBoersWV, Mar 1, 2012.

1. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV
    So I currently breed boers commercially for the local 4H and FFA kids for market goats. I have been doing research about cross breeding. I really like the looks of the Savanna goats. I have done some reading but I was just wondering if anyone out there has any first hand info?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wish I could help but... I don't know about the savanna's other than.. they are a great meat goat and look good..... :thumb:

good luck.... hope you get an answer soon... :wink:

3. jfixit

jfixit New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Sand Bar Farm in Manton Michigan crosses Savanna's and Kiko's for market. That may be a good source of information. They have a web site if you care to do a search. I've seen the Savanna's and they look really nice to me. They seem to have the shape of Boers with out the size and fragility being bred into them.

4. crawly

crawly Crawford Farm

Apr 15, 2014
    For meat they are nicely built. Seem to be a little more compact from my limited experience. but they are very nicely muscled. Had briefly a boer/savanna buck and just reaped the rewards with two very well built billies out of one of my commercial boer does. I'm a believer in the savannas when it comes to meat crosses for a commercial boer herd.

5. Survey0r

Survey0r Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Georgia
    Can't tell you much but I have a 100% Savanna Buck and have had several kids by him. They really grow off good and look great. The does I have bred him to are a mixed breed and multi colored. All the kids are all white and most floppy eared.
    I just bought a couple FB Kikos that kidded 3 FB does and 1 FB buck so I am finally on my way to producing some Sakos.
    Good luck I have heard that the Savanna Boer cross is a great goat.

6. ChristineBaize

ChristineBaize Sand Road Savannas

Feb 5, 2015
    Owensville, IN
    Yes, here is just one example. Savanna sire/ Boer x dam. This is at one week old. Such thick legs.

Attached Files:

7. crawly

crawly Crawford Farm

Apr 15, 2014
    Wow. The word Thick doesn't do his legs justice.

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

He is sure thick!

9. VVFarm

VVFarm Member

Dec 13, 2015
    South Dakota USA
    Ah, Savannas. The Better-Boer goat. :D I love everything about them.
    They are just like Boers except, well, better. Better mothers. Better milk production. Better disease & parasite resistance and, if you like white as I do, so incredibly beautiful. I would trade my Boers for a herd of these white beauties in a heartbeat. The dozen or so that I have are my best goats and their kids are usually the cream of my crop.
    That's the good.
    The bad? There is a bad. It's the reason I quit breeding them.
    People don't want them.
    People have a really hard time with them being solid white. They WANT the brown head that tells them they got a "meat goat". Even in the sale barn a handful of Savanna goats pulls down the price on my market bucklings. I have to send two lots thru and tell them "Savannas. They're meat. Like Boers!" Still, they get a lower price. Grrrr....
    I have the same experience on the farm. 4-Hers want Boers. Breeders want Boers. Oh, they love a painted or mohagany Boer but not those white ones.:brickwall:
    That said, perhaps you live in a more open-minded area. Perhaps buyers in your area know the difference between Savanna/Saanen. In that case, Do It!! They're wonderful goats! You'll never look back! And if you do get them be sure to post pictures. :D

10. crawly

crawly Crawford Farm

Apr 15, 2014
    If you can get a Boer savanna split with color over Boer and similar crosses it makes a nicely built goat with color. I LOVE them.

11. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Have run into the exact same problem.

I also adore my savanna does, though both of mine are a cross. 75% savanna and 25% ish boer, but they are supper nice does and excellent mothers. They are so lovely with their freckled ears, shaded black eyes and black noses too. But of course everyone only wants the brown head.

Just an example of one of my does and one of her babies from last year, for some more emphasis on their nice ear freckles....plus I like showing Merryweather off.

[​IMG]

12. VVFarm

VVFarm Member

Dec 13, 2015
    South Dakota USA
    She's so beautiful!
    I honestly can't understand why there's not a better market for these lovely goats. And the babies are the cutest things around with their black noses & long black eyelashes.... Love love LOVE Savannas!

13. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    I need to get some more pictures of her daughters from this year, they look just like her.

14. I've been thinking about Savanna's off & on for some time. Can any of you that have them offer a possible fair price range for say a kid, a doe, and a billy? I'm not looking for "registered", but I am looking for good stock. I'm trying to begin a meat line for our own family use to supplement our dairy line. Thanks!

And have any of you ever tried breeding a Savanna doe to a Myotonic buck? How did that work for you?

15. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013
    Where are ya'll located ? I'm in north Texas and cant seem to find any savanna breeders near me but i would like 1 or 2 savanna does

16. crawly

crawly Crawford Farm

Apr 15, 2014
    Saw some in the Dakotas recently. Best I can do for ya.

17. I'm south of you...midway between Dallas and Houston off I-45. I've talked to some people in Canada, but that's totally impossible for me. This is still in the dream stage for me. :roll:

18. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    I think the people I bought mine from originally got theirs out of Nebraska. As far as I know there isn't anyone in ND that breeds them other than as a cross.

19. midlothianffa

midlothianffa New Member

May 5, 2013

Right after i asked i found a breeder 2-3 hours away from me now im waiting on them to answer me back

20. Would you let me know what you find out, plz? Or share their contact info? THanks!