Saving The Gallatin Valley Goat Duo

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13 Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    So... The Gallatin Valley. We aren't known for being sympathetic to animals. We're a farming area. I'm one of two vegetarians I know in the entire county. But tht leads to issues. Like The Gallatin Valley Goat Duo.

My neighbor has 2 goats, a saanen wether and a nigerian dwarf wether. She can't milk or breed them since they're wethers. She doesn't have much use for them. So her solution is to keep them in a tiny outdoor dog kennel against a shed. Their only shelter is the couple inches the shed roof hangs over their kennel and a tiny dog igloo that only gets battered around and is too small for both of them together. The saanen, Tyler, can't fit in it at all. Their pen is a couple inches of dirt, mud, and rotting goat crap. They get fed and all, but they aren't treated like living things at all. They don't even get their feet trimmed!

I'd take them in a heartbeat, I really would. They're sweet goats, I love them lots. It's just that we free roam our goats. These guys would likely run off to the neighbor's veggie garden and never leave. Plus, the stall our goats sleep and eat in isn't big enough for 2 more. It's not even big enough for fitting in the little nigerian wether with my 2 minis.

I've contacted The Gentle Barn, and they can't take them in any of their sanctuaries. Most people around here would just have them as meat or make them endure the same life they've had with our neighbor.

So here's the plan. I'm gonna be saving up to buy them. But I can't keep them, like I said earlier. So I need help with a home. I need help finding a good new home or sanctuary, wherever it may be, and finding transport from here to there. I might be able to do it with my dad, but I'm not sure. If any of you know a good sanctuary, please post here! Please don't post with BaaHaus (looks like a hoarding situation), The Gentle Barn (my first choice, but they can't take the Gallatin Valley Goat Duo), or Pigs Peace (I am still awaiting a response).

Thanks y'all! The Gallatin Valley Goat Duo will appreciate it.

Moers kiko boars and AlabamaGirl like this.
  2. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    I have also recently asked Goatlandia to take the GVGD, awaiting a response from them.

Moers kiko boars and AlabamaGirl like this.

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I hope that you can find them help. Good luck.

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

5. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    I don't know their age. Why, were you interested? If so, I'd like to do a little check with how you'd treat them, how they'd be housed and cared for, etc.

6. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    Also, love your picture. It's perfect!

7. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Don't know if it would be an option for you to build them a bigger pen, and maybe get a bigger dog house for them to live in at your place. A dog house is a fine shelter, so long as it's big enough for all goats to fit and is kept clean. Of course, you know your own situation best!
    Glad you're trying to help!

8. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Wow, so in your area it's normal for people to treat their goats like this? Nobody on here has their goats living in conditions like that. Is there any way you could buy them, put them in a temporary set up, and then sell them as pets to someone who would actually love them properly?

Why does your neighbor even have them if they are living like this? Do they view them as pets? Have you tried explaining (kindly) to your neighbor that the goats should not be living like this?

9. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    I have no clue why she has them. It's not necessarily normal for people in my area to do this, but if it's not that, it's gonna be either mistreatment in some other way or them going to the butcher. If it's not one bad home it's another.

I would explain to her how goats need to be cared for, but if I hinted at her that I disagreed with her methods, she'd lose it and send me to live with the GVGD.

And as for keeping them temporarily, I was thinking about keeping them on a stall and taking them on nice, long walks in our alfalfa fields when I'm back from school or don't have scouts or chores until I find a good home for them.

If it were up to me, I'd be first saving up for a bunch of goat pens and starting a sanctuary of my own (God knows we need one here). However, I'm only 2 months short of 13 and my dad owns our land, so I can't set up a proper enclosure for them. But I'll do what I can.

10. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I understand! You can put together a pretty good temporary pen using cattle panels. I don't know if that's something your dad would be agreeable to, but you could probably do most of the work for that yourself. I'm sure you know this, but goats really aren't all that picky. They don't need anything fancy, as long as they've got good food and health care, a buddy, and they know that they are loved.

11. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

It's so great that you're taking this initiative. Yes, I thought of cattle panels myself. Another option could be making a pallet fence. Sometimes you can get those for very cheap or even free. You mentioned a stall? Depending on how big it is you could potentially put them in there until you had the funds to make them a better set up.

12. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    We have some panels but they'd just slip right out. I'll do a stall and walk them whenever I can. Since my goats free roam they could tag along too

MellonFriend likes this.
  13. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Sounds good! I'm glad you're helping them.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13 likes this.
  16. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

If he is younger than 3, I could take take the Saanen.
    He would be trained to pack and have many adventures rock hounding and gold panning. He would live in a rotation of 4-3/4 acre pastures with 3 sided sheds and there's a 8×16 run in on the main barn for bad weather, which we rarely have here.
    I have a total of 6 goats on 3 acres right now. The back forest will be fenced in the next couple of years.

I would need him goat trained to Idaho.

17. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    I love the plan, but thereś no training Tyler. Plus, I highly doubt heś under 3. On top of that, it be a bit much on him since heś been confined in a tiny spot for so long.

Good plan though, like where you were going! Would you have any interest in having them just as pets? Or would your animals need to earn their keep?

18. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    So, GVGD update:

Goatlandia can not take them.

And do any of you know if Pigs Peace sanctuary is even still open? They haven replied yet, and Ie texted and emailed. Itś probably been a week now.

19. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Sorry. Wish I was closer to you but I’m in TX. Good luck though. @goathiker would take great care of the Saanen. I would take them up on their offer. At least then you would only have one goat to worry about. Goats can be trained to pack very easily. No matter the personality of the goat. He would love it.

20. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    I do think @goathiker would care for them okay. But I want somebody who'd take both of them. They like each other, they're buddies.

Think of it this way. Let's say you and your sibling were living together. You guys are best friends. But one day, your sibling goes away to another state entirely. You'd probably never see each other again. How would you feel?

I guess I just see animals as equals to humans, mostly. I know a lot of them don't mind working, like humans. It's not how Tyler would be working, or how he'd be cared for. He'd be cared for good with @goathiker, I know that. It's just his little nigerian dwarf buddy. They love each other like brothers. They want to be together.

I know Tyler would make friends with the other goats wherever @goathiker lives. But let's look at the case of 2 of my horses, Casper and Quincy.

These guys HATE each other like brothers. But with brotherly hate comes brotherly love. They can't stand being away from each other, even though they mostly bicker at each other.

That's kinda the case with Tyler and whatever the other feller's name is, just with less fighting, which should show how they like each other more.

@goathiker, if you can take both of them, I will gladly reconsider. I just won't let them be separated, though.

Iluvlilly! likes this.